Basement leak, unsure of handyman's proposed repair

Old 11-04-16, 10:24 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement leak, unsure of handyman's proposed repair

Hello,

I've got a leak through my basement wall. I don't think it's just hydrostatic pressure because the leak has gotten worse. It seems to happen when it rains.

The handyman who's supposed to repair it doesn't always seem certain of how to proceed on repairs. He said the whole wall needs replaced, but instead he will cut into the concrete to make a drain and connect that to the floor drain.

In looking up repairing leaking basements, I didn't come across any advice like that.

He also says he will need to cover our vents and doors due to cutting into the concrete. I don't like the sound of that.

What are your thoughts on any of this?

Many thanks!

Old 11-05-16, 12:38 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Fist question I would ask is what is being done to remove the water from the wall? Is the ground outside sloped away, have all the downspouts been directed away.

You need to eliminate the source of the water.

Leaks can be repaired, walls are not typ replaced.

What type of foundation, poured concrete, block?

Old 11-06-16, 12:06 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fist question I would ask is what is being done to remove the water from the wall? Is the ground outside sloped away, have all the downspouts been directed away.

You need to eliminate the source of the water.

Leaks can be repaired, walls are not typ replaced.

What type of foundation, poured concrete, block?
It is block. Yeah, I'm not sure what the source of the leak is. It seemed to be hydrostatic pressure until this same handyman chiseled into that wall to make room for a bigger hose for the new A/C unit he installed. After that, there was a lot more water. And it's just gotten to be more and more.

I will try to find the source of the leak.

But is putting a drain in the wall and connecting it to the floor drain even close to what should be done? Doesn't sound like it addresses the source of the water at all.

Old 11-06-16, 02:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I assume you've ruled out the the expanded size of the AC line hole as the source of the leak ?

It's always best to stop the water on the outside of the foundation. Has the foundation wall always been damp and just not gotten worse or was it previously always dry? While collecting the water on the inside is a method of keeping a basement dry it is the last resort or used when it's too expensive to excavate the exterior and stop the water there. Those type systems utilize a 'hole' to collect the water and pump to remove it.

It sounds to me like your handyman isn't the right guy for this job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: