Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chimney cap design

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74172[/ATTACH]
Name:  chimney cap.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  41.2 KB
Hello all!
My apologies, if this is the wrong forum...
Seeking opinions on chimney cap design for this house. Keep in mind, the cap has 2 pieces but only the larger piece with mesh will be visible NOT the smaller piece (shown on top in pic), which will be hidden underneath the larger piece.

Attached Images  
Old 12-09-16, 04:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The design is good, in that it has a kick on the bottom of the exposed part to run water away from the brick on the chimney. I am not sure of the square pipe exit as most flue pipes are round. You may have terracotta pipe and that would be appropriate. It must be sealed well. We cannot see the top of the exposed piece so I am assuming it has cross breaks to allow water to move to the edges.

Old 12-09-16, 01:18 PM
C
Thanks!
Mostly just want to see if folks think it's f'ugly looking or not...Yes, terracotta.
Here's a top view.
Name:  chimney cap tops.jpg
Views: 1531
Size:  48.0 KB

Old 12-09-16, 01:28 PM
Ugly or not it will keep water and birds out of your chimney. It will also keep water from eking its way into the concrete and mortar joints and freezing, making for a frowny day. Although it may be a recurring thing, you could always paint it black...........no never mind, it won't clash with your paint scheme as it is.

Old 12-11-16, 07:32 AM
C
I know what it's supposed to do...Soo, it IS ugly...Got it!

FWIW, it's made of stainless steel and the paint scheme is actually blue and white now with the chimney being blue. I was actually thinking of painting this white...Thoughts?

Old 12-30-16, 10:35 PM
G
I think maybe you think it's too new and flashy and tacky looking.

I think if you paint it, the sun will possibly fade areas and it become blotchy unless you really source out the best primer and topcoat for this application.
Here's black specifically marketed to repaint stainless caps, so maybe there's a warranty against sun damage
https://www.chimneydirect.com/black-...ess-steel-caps

I mean, what else are you going to do besides paint it, screw lathe to it and stucco it? Spray texture paint on it?

Old 01-30-17, 12:37 PM
C
I was either going leave as is or paint white along with the house trim.

Other concerns are...
1) How to lift the 2 pieces up to top of chimney?
2) How to attach & seal?

Last edited by c1351996; 01-30-17 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 07:18 AM
C
FWIW: Here's what the top looks like...
Name:  chimney top new cu.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  26.6 KB

Old 02-01-17, 07:48 AM
R
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
I like it just the way it is and would not paint it. Maybe it's just the picture but the opening of your chimney doesn't look centered and your cap opening looks to be. Working by myself I would maybe use some rope to get it up there, attaching it may require some creative thinking maybe a couple of small stainless straps.

Old 02-01-17, 02:52 PM
I agree with Ron that the terracotta looks offset while your cap seems to be centered. That's a problem. Even if it does match up, you will need to extend your terracotta up about 8" so the initial piece will sit down on it securely.

Old 02-11-17, 06:49 AM
C
Terracotta and hole on cap both are offset but lineup perfectly. I actually had one of the few Chimney Sweeps, in the area, come out and he said no need to extend existing. He recommended to attach it with three 3" tapcons on the 2 long sides (6 tapcons) and the only place he'd recommend sealer is on the outside corner seems of both pieces of the cap. Then he recommended painting it, inside and out with "High Heat Paint" for grills before bringing it up. He also said, I only really needed the bottom piece with a small mesh top but I'll have the best cap in town. FWIW, he offered to "help me" install it for $200...$180, if I pay cash...

Thoughts?

Old 02-11-17, 08:58 AM
R
It's Stainless Steel and looks good just like it is, no need for paint. But I have always had a soft spot for shiny things.

Old 02-17-17, 07:10 AM
C
Most images, I see online of stainless steel chimney caps, don't appear to be painted. However, I'm about 1/4 mile from South Florida saltwater ocean breezes. So, there's that consideration.

Yesterday, I happened to see a neighbor having a galvanized chimney cap installed (not painted) to a much smaller chimney top. He installed a cap that looks like my bottom piece but with a small circular mesh top piece. I talked with the installer, who had quite different recommendations, from the first guy.

The new guy said, I only need my top piece that has the mesh. I was surprised he didn't say my small piece that looked like his just missing the small circular mesh.

He said, not to paint it and to use 10 Hammer-Set Nail Drive Concrete Anchors to attach (3 on each long side + 2 on each short side), instead of 6 Tapcons. Yet, just like the 1st guy said, the only place to seal is on the outside corner seems.

All that said, he pointed out an issue that I had not considered...How can we reach the top of each side, to safely attach and get the leverage we need?

FWIW, that's a six foot ladder, which I tied to chimney, to get up top, solo.

Name:  chimney side new.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  34.7 KB

Old 02-22-17, 10:49 AM
C
Originally Posted by Ron53

It's Stainless Steel and looks good just like it is, no need for paint. But I have always had a soft spot for shiny things.
Thanks!
Agreed...I've decided not to paint it. Now, I'm debating between the 2 different suggestions by the installers' and would appreciate thougts:

1)
Use only bottom piece but add a small mesh screen, on top of hole, similar to my neighbors much smaller chimney tops (See pics below)
OR
Use only top piece that already has mesh.

2)
Use Tap-cons, to attach
OR
Use Hammer-Set Nail Drive Concrete Anchors , to attach.

FWIW: I sealed the top with 2 coats of rubberized coating, then put 2 coats of paint on rest.
Name:  chimney top sealed cu.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  32.7 KB

Neighbors:
Name:  chimney cap neighbor2.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  40.3 KBName:  chimney cap neighbor.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  24.3 KB

Old 02-22-17, 03:44 PM
R
I would go with option 2.

Old 02-22-17, 04:00 PM
C
Originally Posted by Ron53

I would go with option 2.
For which question, 1 or 2?

Old 02-22-17, 04:28 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Chimneys are somewhat permanent (unlike paint color) , so you explore your options.

When I had to re-build the top of my chimney, I couldn't match the red brick, so I devised a separation between the old red brick and the new red brick:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77575[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 02-22-17, 06:16 PM
C
Originally Posted by Vermont

Chimneys are somewhat permanent (unlike paint color) , so you explore your options.

When I had to re-build the top of my chimney, I couldn't match the red brick, so I devised a separation between the old red brick and the new red brick:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77583[/ATTACH]
Looks great...Have any input, on my chimney cap questions?

Question 1:
Which cap(s) would you use?
A) Both caps together.
B) Bottom piece that needs mesh added, like neighbors (see pics)
C) Top piece that already has mesh.

Question 2:
What would you use to attach cap(s)?
A) Tap-cons
B) Hammer-Set Nail Drive Concrete Anchors.

Attached Images  
Old 02-22-17, 07:23 PM
R
It's a nice looking cap, much better than your neighbors. And I say yes to question 2. It would already have been installed were it mine.

Old 02-23-17, 03:59 AM
V
Originally Posted by c1351996

Question 1:
A) Both caps together.

Question 2:
A) Tap-cons
Is that mesh intended to improve the draft, or is it purely decorative ?

As designed, it appears that the terracotta flue reaches to the top of the concrete chimney; but then empties out into the mesh enclosed rectangle . . . . I don't see a direct connection between the flue pipe and the square outlet at the top of the stainless steel.

Your flue gases are probably just the result of the occasional burning of Propane or Natural Gas (power vented ?); but I've seen many chimneys that suffer from a wind shear which impedes the discharge of the flue gases out of the building, and I'd be concerned that the decorative mesh restricts air flow. There are many places up here where the prevailing winds make it necessary to re-engineer chimneys or install power vents to ensure the safety of the occupants.

Before permanently installing this nice looking sheet metal fabrication, I'd test it out to make sure that those Gulf Breezes you mentioned can be accommodated without a build-up of fumes inside the living quarters.

Old 02-23-17, 12:31 PM
C

Question 1:
A) Both caps together.

Question 2:
A) Tap-cons
Is that mesh intended to improve the draft, or is it purely decorative ?

As designed, it appears that the terracotta flue reaches to the top of the concrete chimney; but then empties out into the mesh enclosed rectangle . . . . I don't see a direct connection between the flue pipe and the square outlet at the top of the stainless steel.

Your flue gases are probably just the result of the occasional burning of Propane or Natural Gas (power vented ?); but I've seen many chimneys that suffer from a wind shear which impedes the discharge of the flue gases out of the building, and I'd be concerned that the decorative mesh restricts air flow. There are many places up here where the prevailing winds make it necessary to re-engineer chimneys or install power vents to ensure the safety of the occupants.

Before permanently installing this nice looking sheet metal fabrication, I'd test it out to make sure that those Gulf Breezes you mentioned can be accommodated without a build-up of fumes inside the living quarters.

Mesh is used as animal protection as well as spark arrestor, to prevent sparks that are larger than mesh from leaving the chimney, traveling upwards from a fireplace, to reduce the risk of wildfire. Obviously, in South Florida, this is not used very often (not yet this winter) and Gulf breezes in winter are perfect. That said, I don't believe there needs to be a direct connection to the flue pipe, similar to this one:

Name:  chimney cap similar.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  29.0 KB

Old 02-23-17, 04:40 PM
C
As for fasteners, I called the folks, who built this and they recommended stainless steel tapcons...One each 4" from corners and every 6". That said, what type of sealant, would be recommended, for use on the stainless steel corner seems?

Old 02-24-17, 03:51 AM
V
". . . That said, what type of sealant, would be recommended, for use on the stainless steel corner seems? . . ."
I'm not sure a sealant is even required . . . . to seal out what ?

Before permanently installing that cap, whether it is caulked with silicone or anything else, I think I would want to build a small fire and test the flow with the cap temporarily installed so as to make sure that it doesn't impede the draft too much. I can envision your wood fire building up enough smoke that is slowed down at the top and backs up into your living quarters, ruining draperies carpets, and upholstery.

Did this massive chimney originally accommodate more than that one 6" X 6" flue ?

I once had a chimney that immense; but it supported 4 separate flues, all for different appliances: 2 fireplaces; a woodstove; and an indoor barbeque.

Old 02-24-17, 10:18 AM
C

Quote Originally Posted by c1351996
". . . That said, what type of sealant, would be recommended, for use on the stainless steel corner seems? . . ."
I'm not sure a sealant is even required . . . . to seal out what ?

Before permanently installing that cap, whether it is caulked with silicone or anything else, I think I would want to build a small fire and test the flow with the cap temporarily installed so as to make sure that it doesn't impede the draft too much. I can envision your wood fire building up enough smoke that is slowed down at the top and backs up into your living quarters, ruining draperies carpets, and upholstery.

Did this massive chimney originally accommodate more than that one 6" X 6" flue ?

I once had a chimney that immense; but it supported 4 separate flues, all for different appliances: 2 fireplaces; a woodstove; and an indoor barbeque.
Thanks!
I WAS considering sealant for the stainless steel corner seems but probably not needed, since any corner gaps are insignificant compared to mesh. The flue is more like 12" x 12" and yes, there was a smaller approx 6" x 6" for an old indoor grill, which I'm replacing with a dry bar.

As for fasteners, I am considering using a construction adhesive along with the tapcons. Which tapcons would you use...Flat heads or hex heads?

Old 02-24-17, 01:50 PM
V
I'm going to suggest that the Moderators move this thread to Exterior Home Improvement - Masonry and Brickwork et cetera so as to elicit more opinions regarding what the appropriate manner of attaching this stainless steel sheet metal to your chimney would be. Gentle Gulf Breezes remind me that there are also hurricane force winds that approach that area.

Last edited by Vermont; 02-24-17 at 03:40 PM. Reason: grammatical issues
Old 02-24-17, 02:27 PM
C
Sounds like a good idea...
Wish I had thought of it.

Old 04-06-17, 02:35 AM
C
How to treat stainless steel chimney cap oxidation & rust?

Hello all,

My apologies, if this not the correct forum.

Before installation, how would you treat stainless steel chimney cap that is showing stains from oxidation and rust spots, where it was welded together?

Name:  chimney cap rust.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  27.7 KB Name:  chimney cap rust cu.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  25.8 KB

Old 04-06-17, 02:42 AM
Old 04-06-17, 04:12 AM
C
My bad...
So, do you want me to add this question to that thread or to that forum?

Old 04-06-17, 04:17 AM
I'll merge them, since post 12 and 13 considered the fact of painting it in the first place. Maybe others can help with paint options with the background not having to be rehashed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: