Gutter installation and Issues

Old 12-24-16, 12:39 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutter installation and Issues

Hi all.

I hope this is the correct forum for this type of question.

I needed gutters. I did my homework and decided to go with seamless. Its a standard square rambler with no peaks or valleys to deal with. Simple.....
I did hire a contractor.

They came out, fabricated them, and installed them.

First rain and water was getting behind them down the fascia and i had the same problem before i started. It was bad.....almost like i had no gutters at all.....

So i contact them and send them pictures.......
They came back out just before the first snow and claimed the roof line was too tight against the roof and they would put flashing up at the roofline to stop this.

They came back and cut flashing and bolted that to the house but the flashing doesnt slide up under the shingles. It butts up against the shingle and goes down into the gutter.

I would think they would have put on a proper drip edge....but what do i know. Thats why i hired them.

The flashing they cut isnt even and is jagged in some spots where it doesnt butt up against the single. This makes the roofline look all wavy........and further it appears some of the shingle seems were ripped when putting this on so water goes behind it now and down behind the gutter. IT almost looks like they hand cut the flashing with a snips? (jagged)....

At this point i am not sure what to do. The flashing looks like junk and the roofline is wavy which isnt good i cant imagine......and if water is getting around the gutter in places, they are no good.

They put them up real late in the season (last month) just before the first snow and after the first snow there was no real melting or rain to really see the behavior.

What can i do here? Advice?

I feel i could have probably done a better job myself

I can try and and contact the contractor again here. For what i paid, i would expect the gutters to work without this mess.

Wouldnt the proper process be to have a drip edge that slides up under the roof line (shingles) about 4 - 6 inches and the drip edge to then hang over the gutter with a fold / down section that goes down into the gutter so the water has no where to crawl? I think that would make more sense since that would get beyond the now ripped vertical seams in the shingles at the edge.

Im no expert...which is why i hired someone (which had a good reputation etc). I wanted this done right so i didnt have to worry about the issues of getting it wrong had having issues.

Attached pictures show water still getting around the gutter and the flashing at the roofline. It isnt even bent to fit the roof line properly reallly.

Thoughts / Advice here?

Attached Images    
Old 12-24-16, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
What is picture 2 & 3? Is it the "flashing" they put up? Is it the back of the gutter? What does the profile look like? Interested to see exactly how much roofing overhangs the edge of the gutter.

Old 12-24-16, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your roof has no drip edge. Gutter apron usually is the flashing that goes under the first row of shingles then turns downward and covers fascia... then when gutters are put on it covers the back of the gutters. You need drip edge under your shingles. Not really the gutter guy's fault you don't have it... it's kind of a no brainer for roofers to put it on.

Old 12-24-16, 12:58 PM
S
Its the flashing itself. The fascia had a 1x1 where they placed the gutter under. The flashing they put on goes over all that and bolts into the 1x1 to hold it on. I will try and get a picture of the profile of the metal fascia showing this.

Old 12-24-16, 01:12 PM
S
Here is a shot showing the roof profile. They did not put the flashing here on the garage. The leaking wasnt an issue here.....but this shows the profile with the 1x1 and the gutter tucked under it. The picture shown has a leaf guard screen on it. Thats what you see from the roofline to the gutter. Ignore it.

The second pic here is the house and the flashing they put on ......including the roofline....

Name:  IMG_20161224_150122757 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  42.2 KBName:  IMG_20161224_150343276_HDR - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  29.7 KB

Last edited by scale21; 12-24-16 at 02:35 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: