Shingles for the Shed

Old 01-20-17, 11:20 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shingles for the Shed

I have a 10 x 16 shed, long existing in my yard. The shingles are in bad need of replacement and I also will be replacing part of the roofing, too.

I'm pretty sure that the roofing code (Tennessee) is nails for shingles, but the original shingles didn't use nails, they used staples. So, now I'm wondering if staples would be allowed for the shed.

Though I'm pretty sure of your responses, what bothers me most is that the nails will end up sticking through the roofing material and I always end up cutting my head on them. ( So, I'm hoping to circumvent that in any way possible. I have replaced some shingles on this roof before and to save time (and money) I used staples AND construction adhesive and it has held quite well for a few years now. Not sure if this would be best for the whole shed or not.

THANKS for your input!

Old 01-20-17, 12:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Generally building codes don't apply to temporary structures like a shed unless yours is permanent with a concrete slab or footers/foundation. I have never seen code specify what fasteners to use for shingles and generally the shingle manufacturer will state acceptable installation methods.

Old 01-20-17, 12:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I know the state of fla outlawed the use of staples on shingles years ago because it's easier for the wind to rip them off [maybe the heat plays a part too] But staples generally penetrate the roof deck also. A 3/4" roof nail shouldn't protrude that far thru the plywood to be a big issues.

Old 01-25-17, 07:45 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the input!! I will look for some short roofing nails to do this.

Old 01-25-17, 10:51 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Assuming that you have something like 1/2" plywood or OSB, I would want about 1/4" of nail on the bottom side, in order to ensure sufficient hold. I understand though the issue with exposed shingle nails on a low roof, so while this is NOT the way to insulate a roof, it is a shed, so what I have done for a few people on occasion is tack the thinnest rigid foam I could find between the rafters in the affected areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: