To claim or not to claim insurance

Old 01-25-17, 08:16 AM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
To claim or not to claim insurance

I bought a home under foreclosure during late Jan 2016. This home was built in 2006 and first sold in 2007, still has 5 months of home builder's warranty. When I bought it, it already had 6 missing shingles on one side, which I repaired it immediately after closing.

Just a couple of weeks ago, we had some gusts as high as 51 mph, which caused several areas on roof shingles to fly off. I immediately fixed them, but noticed that many areas had many small damages, such as chips, and looks like previous hail damages. Of all the home in the neighborhood, I only saw 2 other homes with missing shingles.

While repairing, I also noticed, the roofing nails were fastened far above the tar lines, missing the shingles below. I'm guessing the builder were using inexperienced roofers. Future wind gusts will definitely fly off more shingles. I think whole roof needs redone.

The problem is, I did not buy the insurance until mid Dec. And because it's not my primary home, they put it as landlords policy. Do you believe the insurance co will pay for the new roof?

One of the several areas shingles flew off:
Name:  roof.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  22.8 KB

Old 01-25-17, 09:26 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
What is it, a 20 Year Shingle ?

If anyone feels compelled to pay for any roofing material, it'll probably be on a pro-rata basis, recognizing that shingle has already provided 10 years of service.

Since your issue may be more a matter of "workmanship" than one of materials, I'd check with the Builder first . . . . or did you already seek his contribution ?

Old 01-25-17, 10:05 AM
I
Of 10 year builder warranty, only 1st 2 years are covered, and only the major structures, such as foundation is covered on 8-10th years.

So they would, although pro-rata, pay for it? Even I've only had the policy for just a little over a month?

Old 01-25-17, 11:14 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You'll have to read the body of your own Insurance Policy; I don't know what you bought. The Coverages vary from Form to Form and from State to State.

If this is your first Policy Year, the Agent should have provided you with a copy of the entire broad form document; will probably provide just a summary upon renewal.

You've already described much of the roof damage as pre-existing the inception of this Policy . . . . so I wouldn't expect much.

Did the Insurance Company thoroughly inspect the condition of the Dwelling BEFORE rendering a Binder for providing Coverage ?

Old 01-31-17, 10:32 AM
I
I already had existing insurance policy for another home, and this one was added on as landlord policy with same company as first year policy. I don't think insurance company inspected the house prior to it. The policy doesn't say anything about pre-existing condition.

I've already fixed the damages at my own cost. As long as no major weather event occurs, the roof should hold up ok. I'll try to file a claim if major damage occurs.

Old 01-31-17, 12:05 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do the shingles have enough flexibility where you can lift them enough to shoot some nails along the tar line? You'll never do it with a hammer but if you can reach it with a nail gun, the problem will be solved.

Old 01-31-17, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me to make a claim on a 10 yr old roof seeing as how they will only pay for a "one time" storm damage (the stuff that recently blew up) and you won't get anything for past damage from past hail storms. From the looks of it the price to fix what has blown up probably won't even equal your deductable. They also won't like to stand behind poor installation if the nails are too high. No way I would risk my rates being raised for such an insignificant repair if you can diy.

Old 01-31-17, 01:41 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
try this. submit all repairs (dated after you had the insurance) to your agent. tell him you took preventive measures for major damage and would like re-reimbursement. it may work. I know a person who in fact did this and got full coverage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: