Will This Work?

Old 03-15-17, 08:49 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Will This Work?

It's hard to conceptualize in my head if this design will work. I'm thinking it should, but I can't seem to find any references online to this exact configuration. The first image is a top view of the existing structure (large rectangle on left), my new garage addition (smaller rectangle on the right), and the mudroom (red triangle). The second image is the right side view where the garage and mudroom addition will be built. The red lines again represent the mudroom. I need to know if this is doable. In other words, with the mudroom wall and roof at a 45 degree angle, will it intersect okay with the wall of the existing home and the new garage roof? Does anyone have a software application that they can plug this into relatively easy and provide a 3D representation?

Name:  Roof1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  17.3 KB

Name:  Roof2.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  10.9 KB

Old 03-15-17, 09:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
First, there is a reason most buildings are made with right angles. Yes, you can make your 45 degree mud room work. Will it be easy and cost efficient... probably not. Will it look "right" or good... I don't think so. It's just an odd little triangle bit that will look scabbed on. Why not just make your new addition longer/deeper to accommodate the mud room?

Old 03-15-17, 10:12 AM
M
Two reasons. There is an easement, so I can't extend the garage back any farther, and if I make the mudroom square, that doesn't leave much room for a deck. Again, because of easements and setbacks. I have very little land to work with and a triangle shaped mudroom seems to be the only solution.

Old 03-15-17, 10:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd be concerned how it will look on the exterior, not just the angled addition walls but how the roof interacts also.

Old 03-15-17, 10:24 AM
M
My last design was also triangle shaped only with a 3 ft wall on each end (one of the house and one off the garage). It didn't look too bad. Kind of like a half gazebo.

Old 03-15-17, 10:33 AM
M
There is one other design that I was considering months ago that was rectangular shaped, but it required taking a small triangle chunk out of my already tiny living room. I'll post some sketches this evening.

Old 03-15-17, 11:33 AM
M
I think I may have misinterpreted the setback requirements for decks in my county. I was under the impression that an accessory structure could not be less than 24 feet from another dwelling (i.e. my neighbor's house), but I believe this may only apply to additions. If so, I simply need to maintain a distance of at least 8 feet from the rear property line. If this is correct, then I can make my deck larger than I thought I could and can make my mudroom rectangular shaped. Waiting to hear back from the county. ..

Old 03-17-17, 08:23 AM
M
Turns out the county gave me some misinformation months ago when I was first designing my addition. There is not a 24 feet setback requirement between accessory structures (including decks), only roofed structures and additions. So as long as I maintain an 8 foot setback between my deck and property line, I'm good. Now I can do a rectangular shaped mudroom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: