Sump pump drainage pipe

Old 04-02-17, 12:56 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump drainage pipe

I'm getting a lot of standing water in my back yard and am digging a trench for a french drain, directing the water to the front yard and street. There's no where for the water to go in the back yard. My sump pump drainage pipe is currently above ground and not helping the situation. I would like to bury it, but think it will also need to be directed around the house to achive pitch and an outlet for the water. What I'm wondering is if I can put a solid pvc pipe from sump pump drainage in the same trench as my french drain pipe. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-17, 01:39 PM
Received 374 Votes on 349 Posts
So for your french drain, what kind of pipe are you installing?

Years ago when I installed a FD in my back yard I installed the corrugated black pipe (with holes) in a bed of pea gravel. It was so efficient when it got dry the grass above would turn brown.

Now days they have the same pipe but with a sock. Not sure of the cost but would likely not need gravel.

I see no reason that you could not include a separate line to take sump discharge in the same trench. You could also use sprinkler pipe but will need to be sure it is sloped correctly so wont freeze.

Old 04-02-17, 02:05 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Marq1, i cant think of any reason not to, it would sure save time and space!

I'm planning to use corrugated pipe surrounded by gravel for the FD.

Old 04-02-17, 04:20 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I much prefer using smooth, thin wall PVC. It's smooth interior doesn't trap silt and debris like the corrugated black. It's also rigid so it's easier to install without having low spots. You can just lay a level on top of the pipe to see if it has fall.