Outside the box venting for wooden soffit question

Old 04-03-17, 09:40 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside the box venting for wooden soffit question

I have an older home (built early 1900s). During a new asphalt shingle roof installation I had the roofers install ridge vents on the main ridge and the ridges of the 3 dormers.

The overhand of the main roof is about 2 feet side with a painted wood soffit. I like the look of the wood soffit and do not want to remove and replace (or go over top of) with vinyl/aluminum vented soffit. I would like to install vents in the wooden soffit....also, to DIY due to budget constraints.

The attic is a full walk in attic and I can easily access the backside of the soffit from the attic.

I'm thinking about simply taking a small drill bit and drilling from the inside of the attic down through the wooden soffit to create the venting. A smallish bit, so the holes won't be goofy looking when standing outside on ground level and looking up. After drilling the holes, I would install screen of some sort to keep insects out.

Has any tried this or does anyone have any experience on why this is a go/no-go?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-17, 10:03 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You could certainly do it, but would need a *lot* of holes to get the kind of ventilation that is called for. I would drill from the outside using a brad point bit to get clean holes, at least 1/4" inch diameter to get any reasonable air flow, and then you will likely have to try to paint the inside of the holes so you don't see bare wood.

I think it would be way easier to saw out a channel and insert a soffit vent strip. If you get the right color it won't stand out.

Alternatively, cor-a-vent makes a strip that you could hide behind a trim piece so it would be nearly invisible:

http://www.cor-a-vent.com/uploaded_f...?1429120749012

Old 04-03-17, 10:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
or cut out a large enough opening to use a traditional soffit vent - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Air-Vent-8-...t-Vent/3122213 They also sell smaller round ones you'd use a hole saw for.

Old 04-03-17, 11:52 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@CarbideTipped, Great suggestion re: cor-a-vent.

@marksr, I saw those vents a lowes, but if possible I would like to do something less visible from the ground.

I should have mentioned that this roof is very high up. The budget is being stretched b/c I have a hard time finding guys willing to work that high up. That is the primary reason I was trying to find something that could be installed from the attic on the inside of the house.

Old 04-03-17, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Air does not like to pass through holes. The continuous cor-a-vent is likely what you will need.