Adhering EPDM membrane to concrete foundation wall

Old 06-09-17, 07:02 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adhering EPDM membrane to concrete foundation wall

I have seen videos where a liquid rubber solution was painted onto the outside of a concrete foundation and was then covered by rolls of self-adhesive epdm membrane. My question is can a self-adhesive membrane be counted on to adhere to the rubber coated cement wall permanently, or is it advisable to apply a separate adhesive between the liquid rubber coating and the epdm sheets to ensure that the latter stays adhered permanently and so that water does not eventually seep inbetween the two? I have also seen a third water-wicking membrane applied over the epdm sheet to protect it against the backfill soil. How necessary is the latter?

My case is a spot location where an opening (for a potential doorway) was left in the solid concrete foundation when it was poured. That opening was later filled with cement block rather than a door being installed. The primary point of entry where water seeps into the basement is, in this 4 foot wide section of cement block. It appears to seep through the mortar joint between the bottom of the bottom row of concrete block and the footing, i.e. at the level of the basement floor. I am not experiencing any water leakage elsewhere along the poured foundation wall.

I had already dug down on the outside once before and tried to plug this mortal joint with hydraulic cement. I then painted the outside surface below grade with a liquid waterproofing solution (not epdm). However, this fix did not stop the water leakage in this cement block area after I filled it back in. I want to re-excavate this area (with a larger hole to better expose the whole area and to give myself more room to actually stand in the hole) and fix it properly once and for all.

Only half the foundation wall on this side of the house is below ground at all (3 to 4 ft down). The ground level slopes down away from the latter corner (where the cement block is) to the other corner - where at the latter corner the basement floor is actually at ground level. So I don't think a ground gutter at the level of the footer along this whole side of the foundation is really necessary; rather I think a good job of waterproofing this one section of cement block should do the trick. However, "good" means that the epdm membrane should firmly and permanently adhere to the cement block and be permanently sealed to the poured concrete on each side of the cement block. What adhesive or mastic (manufacturer) will do the job in addition to the self adhesive that is on the back of the epdm membrane? This is a very small job but I want it to be permanent.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-17, 06:35 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 layers or 3

I looked at a couple of the videos (Canadian) again and have to correct myself. They did not apply an epdm rolled membrane layer on top of the liquid Rub-R-Wall spray and then a third wicking membrane one top of that. They just sprayed the liquid rubber material onto the concrete in multiple coats and then applied the wicking geowrap material over that. The geowrap material was in a roll and it seemed to adhere directly to the sprayed Rub-R-Wal material after it had dried. They then firmed the geowrap to the concrete with fasteners along the top.

I have seen other products advertised where the foundation is primed with a mastic, a layer of rubberized rolled material (MEL_ROLL) is adhered, and then the outer layer of geowrap (MEL_DRAIN) is applied.

So is appears more common practice that one layer of rubber (i.e. multiple cots of liquid or rolled sheet form) followed by the geowrap is used rather than three layers (liquid rubber + rubber roll + geowrap). And it appears that no additional adhesive is used between the rubber layer and the outside geowrap.

Comments anyone?