Roof sheathing overhang/staggering.

Old 08-30-17, 08:30 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof sheathing overhang/staggering.

Howdy all!
I live in Vancouver WA. Currently in process of doing a complete tear-off and reroof/sheathing of an old 1950's wartime house. It's got a bit of extras added on which are making life difficult.
The gable end had a massive batten over two layers of T-111...at some point an extra 1x2 piece of wood was added in to act as a spacer on the roof. Got rid of the board and going with hip shingles to finish the edge. I'm on a fence how to space the sheathing above it though. Should I extend it to cover both layers of t-111 and flash it (this throw my rafter spacing off by 1 inch so I can only space 3 rafters...then two to stagger on the end...24" centers) or do I go with another small 1x2 strip to act as a filler at the edge and keep the 4 rafter spacing for a full sheet?
Amusingly enough...this won't be a problem too much do to the rafters turning to 16" on center spacing after about 20'. But this if the first job I've had to get a permit and have inspected so I'd rather get it right the first time.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-17, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
I have read this about 5x and have no idea what you are asking. Maybe post some pictures and point out what specifically you are asking about. I can't make heads or tails of any of it. One minute you are talking about battens, then shingles, then siding, then rafters​. You lost me.

Old 08-31-17, 06:34 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Sheathing

I think the OP is concerned about excessive sheathing waste because the last span at the end is more that 24 inches.

The sheathing should cover everything below. Use the apparent waste cuts where you have 16 inch OC rafter spacing to minimize waste.

Old 08-31-17, 10:42 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forgiveness.
Ignore the batten bit. It's been removed. More curious on offset/staggering. If I should only stagger by 24" and use sheathing to bring it flush with the gable edge or stagger by 48" and add a thin strip at the gable edge.

Attempted to add link to image. Preview not working though.