Mystery shingles identification

Old 09-18-17, 02:22 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mystery shingles identification

I'm hoping someone may be able to recognize these shingles. Does anyone recognize the brand or type of shingle? They were installed approximately 12 years ago while another family member owned the home. They said the roofer told them these were "30 year shingles", possibly "all slope" or "low slope". Unfortunately, the roofer has long since retired.

As you can see, the shingles haven't held up all that well. I am going to add some more venting around the soffit area and possibly on top near the ridge too in an attempt to save the rest of the shingles. The entire roof hasn't failed, so I'm thinking of just replacing the damaged shingles if I can find more. I'm also wondering if the manufacturer may warranty these shingles, but I don't know who manufactured them.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-17, 02:48 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Shingles

Cancel reply due to bad info.

Old 09-18-17, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
I would think that roofing materials are native to an area. That would mean unless someone on the board knows the brand by sight..... you'd need to take your picture(s) to local lumber and roofing suppliers for possible identification.

Old 09-18-17, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 677 Votes on 626 Posts
The only time I have ever see that style of shingle is on the walls of a 60+ year old farm shed. My guess is that those have been out of stock a lot longer than just 12 years. Maybe someone was using some very old stock that he got a good deal on... or that had been sitting in his shed since the 70's

Old 09-19-17, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but those don't even look installed correctly. Have never seen ANY where the different color of the upper part of the shingle was exposed like that. And the messed up pic looks like lichen and moss damage, doubt any warranty on that.

Old 09-19-17, 06:35 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Spacing

Maybe it's just me, but those don't even look installed correctly. Have never seen ANY where the different color of the upper part of the shingle was exposed like that
I noticed that, too. Looks like the spacing was increased to make the last few rows reach the ridge.

Old 09-19-17, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 677 Votes on 626 Posts
Pretty sure that is just a shadow line and that the shingle is made to look that way, just like the ridge caps are. Modern shingles have the same sort of shadow line... it's just more pronounced on these because of the staggered look.

Old 09-25-17, 07:10 PM
H
Thanks for the replies everyone. XSleeper, you may be right about them being old old stock. That will make things more difficult, but I'm still going to try to find out what they are and if I can get more. If not, I guess it's a whole new roof.

Old 12-15-17, 10:00 PM
H
I think I may have identified them. Apparently 25 year shingles. Now to see if they're still made or what can be done.

I think this is an old ad. * ad link *

Name:  iko 1.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  65.8 KB
Name:  iko2.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  80.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-15-17 at 11:45 PM. Reason: removed link/added pics
Old 12-15-17, 11:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Yes.... the picture used was an old one but that company is currently still in the roofing business and that constitutes advertising.

Skyline roof by IKO

This is what you are looking for.... IKO/na_residential/homeowner

Old 12-16-17, 05:56 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Only time I've shingles fail like that is from really bad ice dams.
I'd be addressing that issue at the same time to preventing it from happening again.