Supporting gutters from underneath?

Old 09-26-17, 07:18 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Supporting gutters from underneath?

Hey guys. I just put up a vertical roof metal garage and I need to install a 20 ft. gutter on one side. I cannot go the conventional method of going through the backside of the gutter up against the building because it would just be going through some very flimsy sheet metal. Underneath, however are the metal beams in which the sheet metal is bolted to. It looks like the only area that is strong enough to support gutters.

What kind of bracket can I use underneath that will be able to hold this up?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-17, 09:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
You have a pretty specific and non common requirement so I doubt you will find something on the shelves at your local big box home center. You'll probably need to fabricate brackets to fit.

Old 09-26-17, 10:38 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not opposed to fabricating some "L" brackets, but where to find ones that will last for many years?

Old 09-26-17, 12:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
If you will be making them then it's not a question of "finding" them. You fabricate them out of an appropriate material. Stainless steel will certainly last but can be a bit expensive. Aluminum is commonly used outdoors because it doesn't "rust". Or you can make them from steel and paint the brackets. Depending on your skills and tools something could be welded up or even made with a simple bend in bar stock.

If you don't have metals lying around in your shop check with local metal fabricators and welding shops. Brackets like you need would be really simple to make and with the right tools they could be made very quickly and easily. Before you go talk with anyone print out a picture of the area and do a simple sketch with dimensions of what you want.

The worst thing for many shops is some stranger walking in that starts waving their hands around saying they need something "like this". Playing 20 questions and trying to figure out what you really need is a hassle and waste of time for many. But, if you have a drawing or sketch with dimensions then they can crank the parts right out.