Hurricane protection for gable.... OSB vs Plywood?

Old 10-30-17, 09:25 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hurricane protection for gable.... OSB vs Plywood?

Right before Irma approached Tampa, I was in panic mode and asked my friend who is a retired licensed contractor to check out the house. He told me that everything looked good with the exception of the OSB which I had used to cover the gables.

My home was built in 1940, 1 story wood frame house with gables. All of the windows are covered with miami-dade lexan hurricane panels. Also, the house received a new shingle roof that supposedly is rated for 130mph. My only remaining concern is for the gables.

Right now, I have 5 triangular cutouts made from OSB to block the wind from entering the gables (3 on the main house and 2 for the detached garage). Now that hurricane season is over, I want to be fully prepared after for the future.

Should I replace the OSB triangular cutouts with Plywood?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-17, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Ones made out of plywood might last longer but I don't see any reason to replace them until then. This is a temporary cover to block the wind, correct?

Last edited by marksr; 10-30-17 at 12:20 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 10-30-17, 11:36 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exactly. I was more concerned with the structural integrity of OSB being impacted by strong winds than plywood....

Old 10-30-17, 12:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
When they first came out with OSB they claimed it was stronger than plywood. I don't know that I believe that but doubt there would be enough of a difference to matter. Old weathered plywood is probably stouter than old weathered OSB.