downspout underground drain not draining

Old 01-21-18, 07:20 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
downspout underground drain not draining

Our downspouts lead to PVC pipes that run underground to a dry well. For a while I have noticed that we had water coming into our garage from one corner. About two weeks ago I was home during a major downpour and went outside to see if I could figure out where the water was coming from. The downspout drain closest to that wall on the garage was overflowing. This weekend I went out with a snake to see if I could unclog it somehow but didn't find a clog. I took a garden hose and ran it down the pipe and it didn't back up at all. I don't think I unclogged anything so my guess is that the amount of water in a major rain is just too much volume for the pipe. There is another drain a few feet away for a downspout from a different part of the roof. it seemed to be draining fine.

Any suggestions?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-18, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
The pvc pipe to downspout connection is probably too low to the ground and in a downpour it is likely overflowing at that point due to the volume of water and perhaps your dry well is full and not letting the pipes drain fast enough. Either deepen or enlarge the dry well if possible, or extend your adapter higher with solid pipe and couplings, or both.

Old 01-21-18, 11:51 AM
N
extending the adapter seems straight forward. Any suggestions on how to find the dry well?
Thank you

Old 01-21-18, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
No idea, ive never even been to your place. LOL!

Ground penetrating radar, acoustical detection, or a snake and transmitter. You would likely need to hire someone that works in the utility location industry or that specializes in it.

Underground drainage also has no ventilation so if the pipe gets full it can pretty easy get slowed and overwhelmed by vapor lock if the water isn't draining out to daylight somewhere. Gravity flow requires the weight of the incoming water be great enough to continue to push the flow onward... as opposed to open flow.

Old 01-21-18, 01:57 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
You sure something is not frozen? Its been cold and if the frost got down to the pipe and froze some standing water it may be that way till spring.

I have one shallow downspout line that froze during the polar vortex and the downspout filled with water and it froze .

Old 01-21-18, 08:51 PM
N
thank you for the suggestions. I will start with extending the adapter and then wait for the next storm to see if it helps.