Metal or 'Single' roof for Large wooden shed?

Old 03-04-18, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Metal or 'Single' roof for Large wooden shed?

Hello:
There is a fairly large wooden-shed in our backyard which was professionally constructed by Home-Depot, 12 years ago.
After experiencing a very gusty wind recently, I've been thinking of 'new roof,' even though there is any visible damage to the roof.

The current roof is a regular 'single,' However someone told me that 'metal' is durable to last long.
Also, another option to this is, .... my adult son who is very handy working around the house, he said that he might be able to do it if I prefer the regular 'single' roof since the roof is not a big one, about 12 x 10 in size made of thick-wood(pine).

Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 03-04-18, 11:36 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
What kind of roof is on your house? I would match the new shed roof to your house roof.

Metal lasts longer than shingles. 50 years vs, 30 years. How long do you want the new shed roof to last?

If you go with metal, go to a metal roofing supplier. The metal roofing supplier can cut the roofing panels to the correct length to fit your shed. (You supply the correct measurement).

Metal roofing will cost more than shingles. Good luck with your project.

Old 03-04-18, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response.
Metal roof may cost probably twice as much as a regular single-roof, however due to the recent 'hurricane-type' gusty wind, I started thinking of 'metal.'
I see a lot of advertisements as to 'metal roof' recently, just wondering how to find a good and reputable metal-roofing company? Also, how much does it cost a grand total for material/metal along with labor? Just a rough estimate for a large-sized wooden 10 x 12 shed.
In the past, we were lucky enough to find a good roofing company without any issues attached. They are honest and local roofing folks.
How can tell a good metal roofing folk like the ones we had on a regular shingle-roofing company in the past? Since it's new to me, do you think I'd better to stick with a regular single-roofing company? Or, like one of my neighbors did his own roof, my adult son is capable to do that job?
Sorry, many different questions to ask, ... but it's very confusing which route I should to choose and what folks for this type of job, a large-size shed, not a roof of the house. Thanks,

Old 03-05-18, 02:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm partial to metal roofs. If you paint as needed [later on] they can almost last forever. I do agree that it's nice for the house and shed to have matching roofs.

Old 03-05-18, 03:35 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Metal roof is the wave of the current and future way to go. Any reputable roofer will be able to supply and install metal roofing. However, if you want high quality and good workmanship go to the rural areas and seek out those who supply the farming community.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: