Fallen Gutter/Rotten Wood Behind

Old 03-30-18, 03:41 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fallen Gutter/Rotten Wood Behind

Hello,

At some point during the high winds we'v had lately, my gutter fell, revealing some rather rotten wood behind it. I was hoping to get some pointers on how to go about repairing this. Looking at the neighbors house, it seems this should have been flashed. Do I need to replace all the wood, flash it, then re-attach the gutter?

Attached Images     
Old 03-30-18, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,570 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Yes, you should remove the fascia board, and examine the rafter tails. If they are rotten too, you will need to sister another piece of 2x lumber alongside. I would highly recommend cedar for your replacement fascia, but you could also use a mfg product like Smarttrim or Fiber cement trim. These products are almost too hard to drive a hot dipped galvanized nail into by hand. But you can always predrill a hole if you are hand nailing.

If using wood, backprime the boards with oil primer, and paint all edges and sides before you install it. When you cut it to length, prime and paint those cut ends as well.

Then repair the reason it rotted in the first place.... no gutter apron flashing under your shingles.

Old 03-31-18, 06:35 AM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Sure looks to me like there's not enough overhang on the shingles, causing the water to run down the fascia, as well as no drip edging.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: