Soffit advice

Old 04-25-18, 02:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soffit advice

On the pictures I've uploaded I have a building where there are no suffix. I'm trying to decide the best course of action to make it look pretty and to keep things from falling apart from weather or age. What would be your suggestion to do for this building? I could build a soffit on the sides but I'm not sure what I would do about the front. Please note there is a board missing that fell off recently.

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  27.9 KB

Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  14.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-08-20 at 06:29 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-18, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
If those rafter tails are 2x6, add 2x6 lookouts to the gable end. Leave them 1 1/2" short in front. Cut off the nails that stick out and add a 2x6 fascia. Replace the fascia on the eves. Cover the bottom of the soffit with aluminum soffit, cover the fascia with aluminum fascia cover... or any other material of your choice.

If you want your eves soffit to be flat and level (square to the walls) you could do that too. But it would involve boxing in the corners.

Old 04-25-18, 02:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
Completely rebuilding the soffit would also involve roof work, not sure you could replace the fascia board on the gable without disturbing the shingles. Primer and paint will go a long ways toward preventing more deterioration.

Old 04-25-18, 03:36 PM
J
I inherited the house so I inherited all of the mess too. No one here has aluminum soffits or anything like that. It's all gone vinyl.

Old 04-26-18, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
IMO aluminum soffits are nicer but vinyl is fine unless there is extreme heat. But the framing needs to be fixed first as the soffit covering needs something to attach to.

Old 04-26-18, 07:09 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...g&action=click
I use a 2 X 4 instead of a 2X, less bounce and chance of splitting it when nailing the soffit up.
http://constructionmanuals.tpub.com/...4044_108_2.jpg

Old 04-26-18, 08:31 AM
J
I live in an area, south west Louisiana, where they have completely ditched aluminum siding for vinyl. If you have seen my other post you know I've been searching for a soffit miter edge(divider).

Old 04-26-18, 07:13 PM
J
The roof itself is not bad so I really don't want to mess with that part. I don't really recall what we did on the front of this building because honestly it was so long ago. I don't know if I should just soffit the side and then try to mess with the front in some easier fashion. That's why I'm just asking for what you all think I should do with this. Obviously I need to do something with the front.

Old 04-26-18, 07:54 PM
J
So I found the video where we made the shed and low and behold I found the installation, basically, of that piece. I don't know terminology here so please help me in that regard. You'll notice that the last board on the right top and how its attached and then it looks like the plywood roof was attached to the 2x4 or whatever that is.

So I guess the ultimate question here is how in the world do I fix that edge so I can put the beam back? I'd like to close the off too so that maybe I can prevent further damage. The roof is still good, I don't want to destroy the roof.

Name:  r1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  r2.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  18.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-08-20 at 06:32 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 04-26-18, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 721 Votes on 667 Posts
Dude. Unless you plan to tear off your roof, (you already said you don't want to do that) you obviously cannot use the new construction methods in the video and photos. Why don't you take the advice I gave you earlier. It is the only way to do it that does not involve tearing your roof off.

A simple way of doing it is to construct a "ladder" then take that whole unit and put it up there and fasten it. If you are working by yourself I doubt you could do it without help... so I didn't bother to mention that method.

If you wanted to give it a try anyway and you had a Fein multimaster and wanted to notch your gable rafter you could pound the 2x4 lookouts in from the end but you will have sheathing nails to contend with. I would not recommend it, (too much work when there is a simpler way) but it's your shed.

Old 04-27-18, 12:55 AM
J
I was just illustrating how it was built in case anyone needed clarification. Like I stated, I dont know terminology on roofing and such so you have to really describe it in detail. Sorry, just never was taught any of this.

Got help to a point, just don't have it every day. So I need to construct what I need then I can get the help to come over.