How to tell if roof decking needs replacing?

Old 05-31-18, 04:06 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to tell if roof decking needs replacing?

We had a wind storm a few weeks ago. It blew off a good chunk of shingles on one side of the roof. We've had a few companies quote and we picked one. My main concern is the plywood may be rotten in some parts of the roof. We had some shingles repaired last fall that blew off the previous installer mentioned how easy the shingles were pulling out of the roof.

With that said will most roofing contractors notice issues with the decking and bring up the issue to replace the panels? The house is 1978. I have already budgeted if we have to replace the whole roof so that isn't an issue. My concern is should I do my own homework ahead of time so I can make the call myself and tell them I "want" all the roof decking replaced if I am paying for this type of investment now?

Can the decking be checked from within the attic or is it best to check after the shingles are removed and the decking is visible on the roof?

Old 05-31-18, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You can inspect most of the decking from the attic although up top allows for a better inspection. If any sections of the roof feel sponging - that means either the decking is bad or there isn't adequate framing under it.

Old 05-31-18, 06:01 PM
L
thanks. would shingles pulling out of the decking also be a sign of dry rot? or is that normal if the wind is strong enough

Old 05-31-18, 06:59 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
How old are these shingles?
I just hate the term "dry rot" if it was dry it would not have rotted.
Anytime I do a quote on a roof I always include the cost per sheet to replace any damaged sheathing.
No way would I just do a patch job, the whole sheet would be replaced.
Just looking in the attic will give an idea where there's an issue, but once the shingles and paper are removed will tell you what needs to be replaced.
No roofer has Xray vision, until the shingles are removed it's all guess work.
It would be a rare case to have to replace all the sheathing.
If those are the orginal shingles from 1978 then that may be the case, they should have been replaced 20 years ago.

Old 05-31-18, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I second that, joe.

Andvyes, once shingles are removed and you can see and walk around on it, it's usually obvious what needs to be replaced. Can't tell anything until they are off.

Old 06-02-18, 07:46 PM
L
roof was already replaced once, I think this last roof is about 15-17 years old at this point.

Old 06-02-18, 07:50 PM
L
thanks for the input everyone. I will see what the roofers say when they take it off and inspect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: