repair split in aluminum fascia cover

Old 06-18-18, 08:39 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
repair split in aluminum fascia cover

Aluminum fascia cover piece came off during last fall's hurricanes. It's split about half way down close to the center of 12-foot strip. I'd like to patch and paint it before having someone put it back up. Should I rivet aluminum patch over the break, or would J-D Weld hold a reinforcing patch well enough till nailed back up? It's an old house, area is going commercial slowly, so I'd rather not replace the strip completely at this point. The soffit covers can be put back up; no damage except they're down. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 06-18-18, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Most people would replace it. If you want to patch it, I'd probably just run a big bead of white Osi Quad behind it and put a nail on each side.

Old 06-18-18, 01:50 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If I thought the house were not likely to be torn down in the next few years, the piece should be replaced. As the situation is, I'm opting for repair, partly for appearance, but mostly to keep the adjoining pieces from coming down in the next hurricane if possible. The strip would be easier to handle while putting back up if it were not split at that time; thus the patch inquiry. I'll look into the Osi Quad solution. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-18-18, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The Quad is pretty tenacious. I've had to tear apart things I caulked in with it... it's pretty near impossible to tear apart again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: