Opinions on my experience with roofer

Old 06-23-18, 03:03 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Opinions on my experience with roofer

I'm looking for a little emotional backup in feeling the way I'm feeling. Here's the sequence of what happened:

1) Storm damaged roof, insurance came out and wanted to replace one slope only.

2) I had a roofer come out and inspect; he gave me an estimate for a full roof using 3-tab since insurance would want to see replacement with like materials, but said he would upgrade me to standard architectural shingles at the same price, which was $6400.

3) I sent the estimate to insurance and asked for a full roof; they agreed and sent me a check.

4) I was interested in possibly paying the difference for higher quality shingles, so I asked roofer for quotes on two different shingles; one of them would bump the price up to $7800, and the other would be $8200.

5) I asked for a price on one other shingle; it would be $7290.

6) I had narrowed down color to three choices and asked for some samples, which were provided.

7) I decided to stick with the standard grade shingle and chose my color; a revised proposal for the job was then provided for $8020.

8) I questioned the price and wondered if maybe he thought I was choosing one of the upgraded shingles or if I was being confused with some other customer with a larger roof.

9) Roofer stopped communicating with me, not responding to two emails or a phone call.

Let me say that all communications throughout were polite, including my last two emails and phone call. It's a local small business, and he seemed really nice when he first came out, and he has lots of glowing reviews. I think anybody would wonder how the cost went from $6400 to over $8000 for the same materials, and I'm honestly baffled by the silence. If there's an explanation, that's all I'm asking for. But with the abrupt cut-off, all I'm feeling is, OK, that was a classic bait and switch. Is this what it sounds like to you? Or did I do something wrong here?

Old 06-23-18, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sounds like you caught him with his pants down... he's probably embarrassed to call you back.

The only thing "wrong", if you even want to call it that, is asking him to provide so many options.... then going with the original cheaper option. He probably feels like all the other estimates were a complete waste of time. I know that I can feel that way when people change their minds so much.

Old 06-23-18, 04:15 PM
J
Yes, at first, I thought he might be embarrassed for messing up the pricing. One of the reasons I thought he may have mixed me up with someone else is that in a couple of the later emails, he referred to me with an incorrect name.

But then I thought it was like you said, I was asking too many questions, etc. I even wrote, "sorry, can I get a quote on one more shingle?" Geez, I didn't think I was being THAT annoying, and I didn't think it took that much time to just multiply the number of squares by the new price...clients ask prices of different options and ask for samples all the time. I haven't been rude - I even told him I still had his samples and I'd be glad to give them back if he wants them. But nothing.

So I still don't know if he messed up the pricing somehow, or the increase was a "penalty" for me asking too many questions? Or to hopefully get rid of me?

Old 06-23-18, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Or he's gone for the weekend.

Old 06-23-18, 04:36 PM
J
It's been two weeks now. While being confused and a little angry, I'm also kinda bummed because I think he does good work; now I've got to start all over finding a new guy.

Old 06-23-18, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
You have to keep after most contractors. Just keep calling.

Old 06-24-18, 10:07 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I used to roof when I was in college during summer breaks. Some may think having your teenager get a job at McDonald's teaches work ethic and responsibility. It does but go work a summer or two doing roofs and it will make a man out of you. I sit at a desk all day but because I roofed for 6 months I feel like I've earned a bit of the manual labor 'man card'.

Anyways...In my opinion roofing is like having a bunch of pirates and cut throats on your property. Even the boss was shady. He used to cut ice guard in half and pull some other shenanigans. And for the most part this guy has a good reputation. Knowing what I know I'd watch over anyone working on my roof. And I probably wouldn't pick a guy or company that wasn't listed on the BBB unless I was going with the Amish or Mexicans. If you have Amish around you you could get the upgraded materials probably at the same initial price.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: