Need comprehensive repair for these roof water issues

Old 07-27-18, 12:57 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need comprehensive repair for these roof water issues

In the following picture, you can see under the overhang by the front door. The wood appears to be warped and painted over. I believe I had someone suggest to me once that this might be caused because water was able to get through to it. He said it could be because there are these things that need to go between the roof and what you see there, which were not required in 1966 when the house was built. He suggested these things could be put in now. Do you know what he might mean, or how I could otherwise stop water from getting to this area? What kind of service would have the expertise to know for sure and could fix it?

In the next picture is the channel or whatever on the roof above the door that is supposed to reroute the water away from that area so it doesn't spill on to the steps there. This channel is not doing the job. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I need a permanent solution? What service would have the expertise to know what I really need and be able to fix it right?

Finally, the third pic shows how the roof forms a path where it joins together there for the water to flow down to where it goes over the roof onto the front door step. Is there anything that could reroute the water further up the roof there, or otherwise fix this issue? What service would have the expertise to fix this right?

Ideally, I would like to have one service that could fix all these issues. What kind of service am I looking for?

Name:  l1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  l2.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  l3.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  75.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-19-18 at 12:08 PM. Reason: cropped/reoriented pictures
Old 07-27-18, 02:25 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Where are you located?

For 52 years old your soffit looks quite good. More ventilation might help. Since the roof valley is above it's possible you had some ice damming or debris caused a backup and allowed water to get into the soffit but the damage doesn't look like it happens often.

As for the water over the door. Where specifically is the water coming down? Is it getting between the gutter and fascia or is it hopping over the shields added to your gutters?

Old 07-27-18, 02:41 PM
D
The water seems to be hopping over the shields.

Old 07-27-18, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Can't tell anything about WHY it's leaking from pictures taken from below. Pictures of the top of the gutter, the gutter flashing, the valley shingles, etc are what we would need to see. Not surprising to see a leak there if you have no ice and water shield under the first 3 feet of shingles.

Old 08-13-18, 08:49 AM
D
Question So I get the right pics, what are gutter flashing & valley shingles?

So I get the right pics, what are gutter flashing & valley shingles? How do I make sure I'm getting the right pics?

And what are water and ice shields? Would you tell from the outside of the roof whether you had them?

Old 08-19-18, 09:40 AM
D
Question Photos from above the gutter, flashing, and valleys

Here are pics of the top of the gutter, the gutter flashing, the valley shingles, and areas adjacent to them. What all is wrong and what do you think I need done?

Also, if there is no ice and water shield under the first 3 feet of shingles, is this something that can be put in without removing all the shingles?

And given what you see, is this all something that can wait until the spring to do?

Attached Images           
Old 08-19-18, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
The valley looks good. For all we know, the damage you see on the soffit is old (not current) damage, so unless the paint is still peeling and water is still dripping, I doubt you need to take any action. If it's dry underneath you could replace the soffit.

If there is no ice and water, you would need to remove the first 4' of shingles to install it. As new as the roof is and with the woven valley I would assume it's already there.

Old 08-19-18, 10:15 AM
D
Thank you. So the real issue is that water overflows the gutter onto the step when it rains and in the winter, icicles form from the water and hang on the gutter. Worst of all, the water comes down on the step and freezes over the step. This is an issue mainly because my mailman won't deliver mail in the winter if there is ice on the step. I would rather the ice not form on the step so I don't have to physically break it out every time for the mailman. Any suggestions for keeping that water from overflowing the gutter year round?

Old 08-19-18, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Sure. Taller, longer deflectors that cover the entire porch. Also one that goes up the gable a couple feet. And you would need to rake heavy snow off the first 3 or 4 roof and rake the valley and behind those reflectors so the sun can melt it clean. Add heat cables in the gutters or zig zag them on the roof above the soffit.

Looks like your end cap and corner gutter piece could be leaking too.

Old 08-19-18, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Looks like a possible low spot in the valley.

Name:  l4.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  55.2 KB

Old 08-26-18, 08:29 AM
D
BTW, I have never shoveled or raked snow off the roof here in the winter nor had it done. How likely am I to get enough snow on the roof that it could cause leaks, roof damage, or worse yet the roof caving in? How many feet of snow would it have to be to be concerned?

Old 08-26-18, 10:33 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
From a non-roofers point of view, in a couple of shots it looks like the midline of that valley is aimed at the back of the short gutters shield. I can imagine some water hitting the back of it and draining straight down onto the porch. I'd look at fashioning that shield so it angles up an inch or two on the gable. Also adding a deflector at the gutter so the valley drainage is deflected down the long gutter rather than being split between the long and short gutter. I imagine on a decent rain that short gutter fills up rather quickly and is prevented from draining due to the velocity of the valley draining.

I'd also notch that shingle a bit that crosses the 90 degree gutter so it gives more room for the valley drainage to drop into the gutter.

Your "shield" attached to the top of the gutter has a seam where it meets the gutter. Make sure it is caulked to prevent water from coming through and draining down the face of the gutter.

That is a terrible place to construct a roof valley but nothing you can do about it now.

Old 08-26-18, 11:07 AM
D
Question Does anything here look like it can't wait till Spring?

Does anything you see or that I describe here look like it can't wait till Spring? I would like to get it done yet this year but if I have to break up ice on the step this Winter I could deal with it.

Old 08-26-18, 04:37 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Smear caulk on all the joints in the that corner contraption this year. If water still drips then you know it's a drain path issue. Most likely from the valley drainage over topping the gutter or not even draining into the gutter.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...19_1121430.jpg

This image shows some of your valley drainage going behind that deflector and onto your porch. Place a notch in the deflector base and bend it 90 degree clockwise parallel to the gable to at least divert some of the water.

Again...non roofer suggestion. This and the caulking will take you all of 15 minutes not counting the ladder time.

Next year have a competent roofer come out and fix it with a complete new corner gutter/deflector setup. They have the ability to fashion metal properly without the leaks/seams and holes that you currently have up there. You might inquire about putting a deflector a couple of feet up that valley to get most of the water to enter the gutter farther down the straight run of the long gutter. I'm not from snow country so I'm not sure the impact that suggestion would have with those considerations but just an idea.

If it was my house, since I'd replace that soffit anyway because of looks, I'd cut an access hole in it to be able to check where or whether water might be coming in over the winter. Would give you information for next year when the corner gutter got replaced. I'd frame out the access hole so it wouldn't look all hacked over the winter. But that's just me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: