Backyard floor drain - preventing clogging

Old 08-10-18, 12:00 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Backyard floor drain - preventing clogging

Hi all and thanks in advance,

I have a backyard floor drain inside an approx 2.5' deep, well which got backed up during the last rainstorm and caused basement flooding. I found a top layer of dirt and rocks inside the drain which had caused the clogging. I also found that surrounding the drain were more dirt and rocks, which explains how the clogging started. You can see the attached pictures for your reference.

I want to find the best way to prevent the drain from clogging again and was thinking about digging out all the dirt and rocks (about 3-4" deep) and then cementing the floor of the well. But as someone with very little background in DIY projects, home improvement and repair, etc., I'm not sure if this is the best way or if I should even do this? Any recommendations or advice would be very much appreciated!

Attached Images   
Old 08-10-18, 01:58 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Concrete will help. That drain is small and will require regular maintenance to prevent clogging,

Old 08-10-18, 02:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
The key is cleanliness. What's already in the bottom of the well is not what's clogging the drain. It's all the leaves and dirt that gets washed in. If you regularly remove the debris it will not be there to clog the drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: