Best gutter, fascia and sofit system

Old 08-19-18, 03:40 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best gutter, fascia and sofit system

We have a gutter system that goes almost entirely around the perimeter of our house on one level except for a shorter section in the front that is between a gable and the chimney. I need to do some "fixing up" on this section and am considering replacing the entire gutter, fascia and soffit system as I believe in a few years the rest of the house will need this. We get a lot of debris on our roof and the nails are always loosening that go into the fascia boards. And, since we're in western Oregon we get a lot of rain. The gutters are standard 5" "open" K-style and I have to clean them out at least twice each year. There are tongue & groove cedar boards to make the soffit that are rotten in a few sections and the paint isn't that great at the seams of the boards.

I would like to try out a "new" system to replace at least the gutters and fascia board and possibly the soffit (at least a cover over the soffit). I could replace everything on this short section with new items as long at the roof flashing for the existing roof can be used (and it's in good shape). It runs right up over & tight against the top and front of the fascia board which is about 1 x 6 fir. Ideally I would like:

1. A very sturdy gutter system that can take the rain.
2. A "no maintenance" gutter shield, if there is such a thing.
3. A "as weather protected" system as possible for the fascia board and soffit. This could either go over or replace the fascia and soffit boards.

In a few years, we will likely replace the entire roof, gutter, fascia and soffit system.

I hope that gives you enough to give me some advice.

Thanks!
Biederboat

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-18, 12:14 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
My preference is to have rough cut cedar fascias, vinyl soffit with standard aluminum gutters.

As far as the covers/shields over the past 30 years I have tried everything and the one I currently have is the foam liners. They have by far proven to be the best material to keep debris out and not collect krud.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1534749252

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-18, 07:03 AM
B
Hey thanks! Curious, we have to deal with long and short needles (pine and fir) and a variety of leaves and even small branches. It looks like there's about a 3/4" depth that material can sit in. Does it tend to pile up? I could see taking a leaf blower and just blowing it out on a dry or even a wet day, is that what you do?

Thanks again,
BB

Old 08-20-18, 08:35 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Some things very wrong up on that roof for all that damage to have occured.
No location in your profile so I'll guess on one of the many issues it could be, snow area?
Lack of storm and ice shield and there's been ice daming.
Lack of step flashing so waters been running down that wall and getting in behind the overhang.
There's no drip edging or gutter edging to help direct the water from getting in behind the gutters.
That counter flashing should have been ran out longer.
That fachia should not have been ran that tight to the wall.
I vote no on the foam filters, one of my customers had them and paid me every few months to get on the roof and clean up the pile of pine needles that laid on top of them, the gutters still ran free but that huge pile of straw looked like poop and stained the shingles.
Now would be a good time to add more soffit venting.
https://www.certainteed.com/siding/soffit/
Certainteed sells a vinyl cove molding made just for installing soffits, you would remove what you have there now, install it and there's a 1/2" slot for the soffit to slide into, Going to have to go to a real siding supply to find it.
I'd be wrapping that whole fachia with coil PVC stock, you can order it in dozens of different colors if that's an issue.
The only gutters I've seen work with pine needles is the Gutter Helmet,
https://www.gutterhelmet.com/

Old 08-20-18, 08:54 AM
B
The fascia board rotted because the gutters "drooped" due to the heavy debris load and the nails loosening. The water ended up going behind the gutter and possibly into the eave/soffit. Agreed that better venting is needed. Location, as I stated in the post, is Western Oregon.

My father in law had the "helmet" and says his fir needles follow the water into it so I'm a bit leery on those but I'll check them out more.

BB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: