Fascia boards don't meet correctly...

Old 09-15-18, 08:07 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fascia boards don't meet correctly...

I have a 5/12 pitch on my new built addition and I'm ready to put rafters on my 6x8 smaller room off the side. I cut a test rafter and the 2 fascias don't line up correctly, how do I tie the 2 fascias together? I'm also going to put a breezeway roof between the main garage and the new 6x8 addition, 5/12 doesn't look like much of a pitch on that small 6x8, should I make that roof the same pitch as my garage roof, maybe that would lower my overhang and it would go under my other fascia, any ideas?

Attached Images    

Last edited by grantiman; 09-15-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-15-18, 11:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You could shorten the overhang so the fascia would line up.

Old 09-15-18, 12:07 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Could you not construct the smaller room roof similar to your addition? Hard to see but it looks like the rafters on your addition sit on the ceiling joists. If you did the same (or even built up the top plate for the smaller room, it looks like the rafter tails would line up better. This would give the added benefit of having that valley end at the inside corner so you didn't have to worry about flashing that little area. You might have issues with dimensions on the smaller room (not exactly 8' for drywall for ex, but it's a small area so it might not be too bad to accommodate.

I never liked 2 different roof pitches in gable construction. It always made the flatter roof look like an addon after the fact. But that's just me....

Old 09-15-18, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your options are:

-raise the top plate and/or change the depth of the birdsmouth
-shorten the rafter length (narrow the soffit)
-change the roof pitch
-use taller rafters, then level cut the bottom of the overhang even with the bottom of the other fascia
-create a raised heel rafter
-a combination of the above

​​

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: