flashing around curbed skylight (metal roof)

Old 10-02-18, 03:12 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
flashing around curbed skylight (metal roof)

I am planning/wanting to install a tube style skylight like the one pictured below through an existing metal pitched roof, so will be needing to construct a raised "curb" (square wooden frame) into the roof structure onto which the square metal "flashing" included with the skylight kit will fit over. I'm seeking advice/instructions on how to go about properly flashing the curb itself, what method/technique makes sense and would typically be done by somebody (like a roofer) who knows what he's doing. Thanks. (for reference, the skylight pictured is a Velux TCR014 model).

Old 10-02-18, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Old 10-02-18, 03:33 PM
Yes thanks for the link but I already have that downloaded and have looked it over. It does not include any instructions for flashing the actual "curb" itself, which is what I am looking to find out about. The curb is a basically a raised wooden frame projecting out above the cut-out of the metal roofing material.

Old 10-02-18, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
I will look at that again later.

Old 10-02-18, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
A metal roof should have a self adhesive membrane under the metal. That would wrap up all 4 sides of the curb and wrap over the top. Seal corners too. The metal roof would also be bent up to conform to the curb. A 2nd layer of self adhesive would counterflash the roofing to the curb. Then your square counterflashing would go over that... you'd likely run a bead of sealant on top of the curb before setting the square flashing on it.

You would want to double check your curb framing and counterflashing size to ensure you have room for all those layers.

Old 10-02-18, 04:08 PM
That method seems do-able if constructing a new roof but I can't see how it could be done in the situation I have where I'll be needing to cut out an opening into an already existing metal roof.

Old 10-02-18, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
On an existing roof about all you can do is fold your existing metal roofing up on the sides of the curb, (place your preassembled curb on the roof and draw a line around it with a sharpie to show you where to bend) then ibstall the curb and put a peel and stick over the metal roofing as a counterflashing, then apply your square counterflashing and hope for the best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: