Rubber window glazing?


Old 10-08-18, 07:48 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 265
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rubber window glazing?

I have a cabin with an entire wall of fixed single pane windows. The glass is installed very simply in a simple wood frame with wooden stops nailed into the frame on both sides of the glass to hold it in place and some caulking to seal the wood stop to the glass. Needless to say the windows are not weather tight. They are under a wide overhang, but in a driving rain water does penetrate. There are 14 windows that go over 20 feet high so Iím looking for a solution less labor intensive than traditional putty glaze.

There must be a better way to install these windows? Is there some rubber glazing in a channel or something like that that I can use?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-18, 10:35 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 25,989
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Here is an example of channel glazing. It wraps around the glass perimeter and a frame with the correct size dado is assembled around it. I don't know that this will work for your application unless you plan to completely remake your windows.

no point in putting too much effort into single pane glass in the first place. Practically zero insulating value.

there are various sizes of glazing spline that can be inserted into a gap between the stop and the glass. The size of the gap is critical... too loose and it falls out, too tight and it won't fit.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: