raise roof?

Old 11-05-18, 11:23 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
raise roof?

Hi, wanted to get a consensus on the labor cost to raise a roof in Raleigh, NC. Have a story and a half with a cathedral ceiling in the dining room and living room. This section is about 24' x 12' exterior. Want to remove drywall, shingles, decking and trusses on this section of the house and probably add I-beams to span 24 feet across at 16" on center (might need a wall in the dining room to support I-beam span over 20 feet), add a second floor, add 8 foot walls, windows on the front and back, then new trusses, decking and shingles and tie that in to the existing roof.

There is a front porch with painted ceiling/covering so I'd have to somehow build that out, maybe with the I-beams extended to the outside of the walls on the front or something like that to retain the covering/overhang as it is today. The porch extends past the exterior wall on the front section of the house by probably four feet with about a foot and a half roof overhang. There's three columns on the front to support the porch covering. Roof is about a 6/12. I realize that I might need to rip off drywall on one section of the wall on the first floor to verify wall studs are 16" on center to support a second floor, and if not, add wall studs as necessary to support it. Let's assume first floor wall is 16" on center.

One guy thought that might cost over $30,000 but wanted to check here too.

Old 11-05-18, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,958 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
Best way to get labor cost is to get several local estimates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: