gutters have the wrong pitch.

Old 11-05-18, 06:49 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gutters have the wrong pitch.

I have new gutters installed.

The pitch is wrong on a couple of them - I have about 1 inch of standing water at what should be the high end.. Loads of other issues also / didn't pay the whole bill / not having them come back / they wouldn't come back anyway : )

Is there any other way short of undoing the clips along the entire length, pitch it the right way and reinstall the hangers?

the gutters are held in place by clips that look like this:

https://www.guttersupply.com/file_ar...8_3689.JPG.jpg

just unscrew all of them, move them over a couple inches and reattach when the pitch is right?

can 2 people do this to runs that are about 30' long? What is the right pitch?

Will likely have to lower the downspout to match up wiht the correct low end?

Thoughts on a pro gutter install company screwing up like that? They had the machine to make the gutters on site. Hey, It happens? they were morons?

Old 11-05-18, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Perhaps they simply went by the reveal under the gutters as far as what "looked" to be the right pitch. No professional installer wants the gutters to end up looking drastically crooked. Having put up a lot of gutters on crooked houses, if your existing fascia isn't level that throws everything off. But youre right, they should have checked to make sure they didn't leave a lot of standing water anywhere.

Yes, it is as simple as removing the screws and moving the gutter up as high as it can go on the end farthest from the outlet. 2 people should be able to do that. No, you should not need to lower the low end unless you can't raise the high end any higher.

Old 11-05-18, 07:32 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. The high end is already up against the new shingles. I really want / need to take all the brackets off to do I right?

Oh, another question. These people also put on the new roof. (Took off the old 2 layers first)

Standard size k gutters stick out from the facia about 5”, right?

How much of the 5” should the shingles Overhang the gutters / how much gutter should be exposed? They have about 2 1/2” of the 5” opening covers by shingles. A pain to clean out leaves w my hands.

Old 11-05-18, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
If you have standing water on the high end and the high end is as high as it will go, your house is drastically out of level.

The shingles do not need to overhang the metal roof edging by more than about 1/2". You do have metal drip edge that the back of the gutters are tucked under don't you?

Old 11-05-18, 10:36 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I have never worried too much about slope, as the gutter fills up it will find the downspout and any water will evaporate. Plus trying to get slope over a long run starts to look bad.

Overhang is the width of the metal edging, inch or so!

Name:  g1.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  38.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-23-19 at 11:51 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 11-06-18, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
An example of typical installation instructions.

They recommend shingle overhang of zero to 3/4" maximum.

The best flashing to use over gutters is "gutter apron". Its longer to cover the back of the gutter and it doesn't reduce access to the gutter nearly as much.

IMO, d style edging should never be used over gutters, but in many parts of the country that is all they use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: