Ridge vent headache (leak!)

Old 12-15-18, 05:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ridge vent headache (leak!)

Hey guys, long time weekend warrior , first time post here.

Noticed a slow drip from a ridge vent. I already went up and used PL premium roofing sealant on all the edges / lip where the ridge meets the shingles. I did this for the affected area and at least 3’ in each directio​​​​​n. Also ran in some new metal to shingles fasteners (the ones with the washer).

Looks like the water is getting under the lip and moving up to where the opening is cut. See attached pic. Could water be getting in elsewhere and pooling in this location until it finally spills out the edge?

Even after my repairs, the drip still exists. Looking for tips or tricks on solving this. Thanks !!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-18, 05:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
Can you post photos of the vent from the outside?

I hate ridge vents. I've seen them leak very often usually when you get rain with high winds. The wind simply blows the rain up into the vent. Often it's not a matter of sealing the vent to the shingles. Sometimes that can make it worse since water that's gotten in can't drain. Some ridge vents have an aluminum lip or flange to help deflect wind driven rain but some types don't and simply rely on a grate or fibrous mat to prevent wind from blowing water which doesn't always work.

Old 12-16-18, 07:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hmm.. there is a grey sort of material in the vent. You can see above, but it seems to be messed up a little. My drip does seem to occur no matter if there is wind or not.

Does this material catch small amounts of water?

I'll get pics from above as soon as the weather and light (lack of) cooperate! thanks

Old 12-17-18, 06:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
I can't clearly see what the gray material is in your photo. It almost looks like it might be tar paper or a Tyvec type material. Many ridge vents have a very open type of material almost like a cheap furnace filter. It's designed to block the bulk of wind but still let air flow through (yes, I know those two things are sort of opposite).