Replacing rotting overhang

Old 01-01-19, 11:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Replacing rotting overhang

I have a little apartment behind my home which has some issues. The overhang of this structure is rotting away from underneath. There wasnt sufficient maintenance on that and this is how it was when I got the home. My questions are, because the plywood for the roof extends over about 2 foot do I cut off the plywood that's bad or remove the shingles and attempt to replace those boards entirely? If I need to play with shingles can I remove a portion without having to reshingle the whole roof?

Old 01-02-19, 02:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
So it's the roof decking that is rotted? If so, the shingles would need to be removed so you can replace the affected boards. Whether or not it's feasible to just reshingle that portion depends on the age and how brittle the existing shingles are.

Old 01-02-19, 04:10 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
I would first try to remedy the cause of the roof sheathing rotting.
I would do the following to address the current problem. Best scenario is you can lift the overlapping shingle on the last row you are removing and remove it's (last row) nails so the new shingles can go back in the same vertical position. If you can't lift the shingle, you have a labor intensive effort to make the overlap waterproof. I would first install aluminum roll flashing (width determined by how high the flashing can be pushed under existing shingles and the bottom of the last row of shingles replaced). Paint the flashing same color as shingles. The tops of each shingle of the last row will need custom cutting to match the remaining portion of the old shingle while maximizing the new shingle's height. Nail the new shingle as close to the top as possible. Good luck.

Old 01-06-19, 10:20 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Would it be better to cut the overhang off and build ladders? The cause was not keeping it painted and maintained. Of the many grest things my old man did, maintenance wasn't one of those traits. And it's only on the corners. The rest of the roof looks great. However, anything that wasn't painted is wearing out. I just need to fix this before I have to fix the entire roof.

Old 01-07-19, 05:40 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Cutting back the overhang is certainly an option as long as it removes all the damaged wood.However, you need to make cuts at different levels such that the shingles extend.75-1.5 inches beyond the new fascia board so new drip edge and shingles extend over the new gutter. Gutter should be used as you are moving roof drip line closer to wall.You will also have to add soffitt nailers and siding to the wall as the soffitt will be higher.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: