Walkway Drainage Around House

Old 01-16-19, 07:36 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Walkway Drainage Around House

Just bought an old house and first thing on the list is to address the drainage around the foundation. On two sides of the house are concrete walkways that have sunken such that water is funneling INTO the foundation.

I'm about to dive into fixing this, starting with having the concrete broken up and hauled away. After that, welp - I need your help on what to do! I have a few questions:

The foundation is poured concrete wall with stucco over it. When I regrade the ground around the foundation, do I need to waterproof the side against the foundation?

I plan to install a catch basin and run the gutter drain out to the side of the house. What should be the slope of the drain pipe? Any recommendations on the type and/or materials of the drainage system?

We plan to backfill in the area with some kind of crushed gravel and then line them with 1x1 stepping stones.

I'll leave it at that. Any advice on how to remedy this would be appreciated!

Old 01-16-19, 11:59 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
What should be the slope of the drain pipe? Any recommendations on the type and/or materials of the drainage system?
1/4 per food slope min, you cant have enough.

Material, I always use the corrigated 4" black PVC pipe.

Get the water away, no need so "seal".

Old 01-17-19, 12:51 PM
B
What method of drain emission is recommended? Anything wrong with a pop-up?

Old 01-17-19, 03:53 PM
Not exactly sure what you are referring to, you want to get the water from the gutters away from the house, ground drainage will be controlled by the grade!

Old 01-18-19, 09:10 AM
B
The water from the drainage pipe has to go somewhere - the question is where. The options I'm aware of:

1. Run it to the curb and dump it into the street (this would much a very long run and would require a permit to cut a hole in the curb)
2. Run it to the edge of the property with a pop-up emitter to disburse the water.
3. Run it to the edge of the property into a leeching tank.

Which one should I use?

Old 01-18-19, 09:17 AM
Now I understand, yes getting rid of the water can be a challenge. Dumping onto the street might be frowned upon, a dry well will work but heavy rains can saturate. Running to a point on the yard away from house is probably best of the 3.

Old 01-18-19, 09:20 AM
B
Running to a point on the yard away from the house will happen in all options. Are you suggesting using the pop-up emitter to dispel the water onto the lawn at the edge of the property?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: