cut through metal roof

Old 01-17-19, 08:43 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
cut through metal roof

I need to cut a 16" diameter round hole though a metal roof. The standard R-panel type metal roof panel is installed onto 5/8" plywood, so I need to cut through both the metal roof material as well as the plywood both at the same time; removing the panel and cutting it separately from the plywood is not an option. I have a reciprocating saw so which type of blade would I probably use for this? The "bi-metal" and if so how many teeth per inch? Or should I perhaps use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to try to cut through the metal first, the cut out the wood with the reciprocating saw afterward? The round hole does not have to have a perfect smooth edge, just needs to be round so I can slip a 16" pipe through it and will be dealing with flashing afterwards, of which I'm not asking about now but am just asking how best to cut the hole, what blade/method? thanks

Old 01-17-19, 08:58 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I would use the saws all with a fine metal blade, it will cut the wood!

Old 01-17-19, 09:18 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
Please consider eye and ear protection for your project. On an overhead project the last thing you need is flying debris to cause a distraction that compromises safety!

Good luck with your project!

Dave

Old 01-17-19, 09:19 AM
I would use the saws all with a fine metal blade, it will cut the wood!
ok then i got what's labeled as a "bi-metal" sawz-all blade with 14 teeth per inch. Usually I've never really used those kind for through wood but in this case because I gotta cut through the metal and the wood I'll use it if that should work decently. thanks

Old 01-17-19, 09:23 AM
Please consider eye and ear protection for your project. On an overhead project the last thing you need is flying debris to cause a distraction that compromises safety! ood luck with your project!
Well actually I'll be needing to cut down through from the top of the roof, so it won't be an overhead cutting project. Yeah thanks for the safety tips; I'll be safe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: