Measuring roof peak height from the ground?

Old 02-06-19, 04:42 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Measuring roof peak height from the ground?

Hi,

I'd like to measure the height of my roof from the peak to the ground. Every time I try to do so, the tape measure just bends.

Is there a special way to do this that I am missing? At the moment, I am pretty scared to climb the roof to find out. The roof seems pretty steep to me.

Thanks.

Old 02-06-19, 05:48 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Something stiffer like a pole or a board.

Might have to tack multiple items together depending.

Old 02-07-19, 02:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
You could measure it in sections [ what your tape measure can handle] and then add those measurements together.

Old 02-07-19, 04:15 AM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Get a 10 foot piece of 1/2 or 3/4 PVC. With a ladder on the side of the house, place the PVC vertically at the peak and mark the bottom. Measure the vertical distance from the mark to the ground. This distance plus 10 feet is the height of the roof peak (for most practical purposes) on this side of the house.

Old 02-19-19, 07:11 AM
J
Could a laser tape measure work? I have been looking all over and it doesn't seem that there is a straight forward answer.

Will use one of the other methods if I have some PCV available along with a tall enough ladder to get to the roof peak.

Thanks so far.

Old 02-19-19, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Yes, but it would measure to the bottom of the soffit, so you would just need to add 7" - 8" or so if you wanted the distance to the top of the shingles.

Old 02-19-19, 07:18 AM
J
I think this could work. Just trying to purchase a tall enough ladder so that I can get my LTE and HDTV antennas mounted. Good deal, thanks.

Old 02-19-19, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
What kind of siding do you have? It's pretty easy to get a rough idea based on how many rows of siding you have, provided you know how to count and multiply... lol

Post a picture if you need to and we can help.

Old 02-19-19, 07:26 AM
J
Dogonne it, you are right! Saved me some money right there. Thanks. I am ok with math. I can get through.

Old 02-19-19, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Keep in mind that your extension ladder will be sitting at an angle (4:1) and that it is supposed to extend 3 feet above the roof to safely get on and off the roof.

So if your roof is 24 feet high, the ladder legs will be 6 feet away from the house... the hypotenuse of that triangle is about 25... plus 3'... you would need a 28' extension ladder, minimum.

Old 02-19-19, 08:05 AM
J
So the roof eave is 26.58 inches high based upon 58 pieces of vinyl siding at 5 inches each. Then 29 inches between the lowest piece of siding and foundation.

Is there any standard for Single Family Home roof heights? Asking so I can get a better understanding if I am even in the right ballpark for my measurements.

Is there even a reasonably priced DIY ladder at that height?

The thread is probably going to take a turn soon, so I will create a new thread if necessary but I don't think the turn will be so far as to require that.

I am pretty scared of climbing ladders and even more scared of climbing roofs. I haven't measured the pitch yet, but I can tell that it is fairly sharp.

Old 02-19-19, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
I assume you mean 26.58 feet? No, houses are not any standard height.

So you would need a 32' extension ladder. The cheapest aluminum ladder you can get would be $300. If you will only use it once or twice you could consider renting one.

Old 02-19-19, 08:23 AM
J
Lol, maybe in a dollhouse it would be 26.58 inches. Yes, I meant 26.58 feet. Thanks for letting me know what height ladder would be required and that there are no standards.

More to come maybe.

Old 02-19-19, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Something else to consider is fall protection. You obviously aren't required to wear it but it can save your life. It is a harness you wear that has a short rope (called a lanyard). Once you get to the top of your ladder you would attach a lifeline anchor to the roof framing and then clip your lanyard onto it. It keeps you from falling while you are working. Permanent anchors can be left there for future work.

Google "bucket of safe-tie."

Old 02-19-19, 08:45 AM
J
Oh heck yeah, I am all about fall protection!

Here is why I mentioned the thread taking another direction.

Could I possibly get to the Gable End vent and remove it from the inside then carefully install the antenna just below it or something of that nature?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-19, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
um, no. Not sure how that would help.

I don't know exactly what all you are mounting but you probably need something like this.

It can just screw down onto the roof, (they make a sealant tape to go under them as a gasket) and you also probably don't need to put it at the very peak of the house. It could go anywhere, even down low.

Old 02-19-19, 09:14 AM
J
Thank you XSleeper....I have one of those and have always wondered how you can avoid a roof leak. The thought of incorrectly mounting something in the roof without waterproofing has always made me cringe!

I think that I am leaning towards an attic mount of the equipment at this point. That is sufficiently different and will warrant a new thread IMO. Once I start that one, I will post a link to that one in this thread.

I don't know exactly what I am going to find up there, so I it might be a bit.

Old 02-19-19, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Your gable vent has a flange that is nailed to the house behind the vinyl siding. The exterior louver is a snap on ring that you can remove but it will only reveal the bug screen and the flange that is nailed on. You would have to remove vinyl siding to remove that flange. And you can't work through such a small hole.

If you get in the attic you will do it through your attic access hole. Once in the attic, you can just attach your mount to a vertical stud... if there isn't one, add one anywhere its convenient.

Old 02-19-19, 10:56 AM
J
Thanks for that. I did visit the attic. I'd need a ladder just to get to the roof eve's height internally once inside, lol...always something.

Old 02-19-19, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe once you get it through your head that the antennas don't need to be as high as humanly possible, this project will be a lot easier. As high as you can reasonable get it might be good enough.

Old 02-19-19, 11:26 AM
J
I kind of have to disagree with you, respectfully of course. I am 55 miles from DC and 50 miles from Richmond. I don't even have normal internet access in my house. I am using an unlimited hotspot solution. Really have to improvise and make the most of it. We are always on the cusp of falling just below that magical bandwidth level which keeps the kids off my back. The hotspot solution is light years ahead of the Satellite situation here, but it does require a bit more focus. Same thing with TV stations. My HDTV antenna is omni-directional so not as much of a pain...but the Yagi antenna for the internet is another story. I am directly between 2 cell towers about 2.5 miles which is a great thing, but the LTE antenna has to be in exactly the right spot or there is a huge difference in signal.

Old 02-19-19, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Like I said... I don't know exactly what you're putting up.

Old 02-19-19, 01:00 PM
J
Well that is basically it, thanks for all of the help. Learned alot from you. Appreciated.

Old 02-20-19, 08:42 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
There are smartphone applications that can measure it for you. Stand back, focus on the bottom of the wall, then focus on the top of the wall and the phone does the trig for you. The one on my Android phone is called "Smart Tools."

Also, a 45į angle is a 100% slope, every foot up equals one foot horizontal. If you have a carpenter's level that has a 45į angle on it, hold the level horizontal and imagine a line running at 45į from the peak to the ground. The distance from where that line touches the ground to the wall is the same as the height of the wall.

Old 02-20-19, 12:48 PM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
I am pretty scared to climb the roof to find out. The roof seems pretty steep to me.
Going back to your first post, and not poking at you because I don't care much for roofs any more myself, particularly anything more than about a 5/12, but if being on the roof with just a tape measure is a bit intimidating I can assure you that being up there while juggling an antenna and the tools to mount it is not going to be any easier, so whatever the cost of the ladder you would need might be better spent toward paying someone else to do it. Yes, this is a DIY site, and quite a number of people here have quite a variety of skills, but I doubt that anyone is capable of absolutely any task that comes along. As far as who could do it, well, you'd have to make a few phone calls. I've met some very capable and responsible handymen, and a few maybe not so, so you'd want to make sure you were comfortable that they'd seal up the holes good and whatnot. Around here, I know of at least one roofing company that does very good work, and they actually have a couple of guys that they send out on things like this as their schedule permits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: