Drainage issue

Old 02-16-19, 10:05 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drainage issue

Im having a drainage issue in a area beside driveway on small hill off neighbors yard
I wanted to know the best way to get the standing water to drain.Theres a hackberry tree right there an not a lot of open digging ..
Any suggestions?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-19, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 678 Votes on 627 Posts
Well, water runs downhill so if the ground there is flat your options are quite limited. Once thing I notice is that the brick house has gutters, the one with the puddle doesn't. When a house doesn't have gutters, the drainage off the roof usually creates a depression all around the house from the water pounding the ground and washing it away.

So apart from getting gutters and running the discharge far away from the house (even the brick house should have longer downspouts), I don't know what to tell you.

We don't know the lay of the land or where possible drainage could go... we don't know where lower ground is in relation to the puddle. Raising the grade is one option but you can't go higher than your cement pad... that might force the water elsewhere. And digging a dry well and french drain would work, but it needs a place to go... a low spot somewhere nearby that the underground drain could find daylight.

Also, if the ground there is frozen, that water will just sit there until the ground thaws and it can seep away. You didn't say where you live so that's just a guess.

Old 02-16-19, 09:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its in Tn. There is only a back yard to another yard .
Im thinking of light trench to back area an a few drywells if i can get around the hackberry roots..
With slight rundown from neighbors side its going to be a bit tougher .A yes im working on gutter ..
We have had very large amounts of rain over last 2 weeks an up to 6 inches more this week.. record Feb..