Products to buy to patch up small leak

Old 02-26-19, 05:30 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Products to buy to patch up small leak

After a few rains, some trial and error trying to isolate where a leak is, I think I've got a small area narrowed down. It's a really small leak (1 drip per 5 minutes or so) coming through electrical conduit that runs on top of the roof. This is a white gravel roof with tar.

Is there a way to scrape off the gravel without renting one of those motorized mowers that spin around?

And can I use Henry's roll roofing 203 tar instead of the tar that you have to heat up?

What mesh product do I use?

And once I've scraped off the gravel, what cleaner do i use? Something like this? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spray-an...1G-J/202088618

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-19, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
Andy...... you're all over the place.
What is actually leaking...... an electrical conduit penetration thru a flat roof ?

Old 02-26-19, 06:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
And if it's just one little leak why does it sound like you're re-doing half the roof?

Old 02-27-19, 01:16 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not redoing half the roof. I've targeted an area that's about 2 feet by 8 feet. I might narrow it even further after rains expected this weekend.

Conduit runs from above the roof, down through a rafter where there's track lighting.

When I run the plastic even further down and over top of the pipes there is no leaking.

Old 02-27-19, 05:24 AM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
There is no way you can seal the pipe penetrating the roof. Roof expansion/contraction due to heat/cold will eventually break any seal with the pipe.Can't believe any building code (or common sense) would allow such a patchwork. I would move the wiring inside. If your statement that the rafter has a thru hole (vertical) for the conduit is correct, the rafter's load carrying capacity has been compromised and needs to be repaired. I am sure the leak is also wetting the surface of the thru hole which eventually will weaken the area over time.

Old 02-27-19, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
When a conduit needs to run thru a roof....... a pitch pocket is installed first. That's like a weatherproof curb attached to the roof. That keeps all the water on the roof away from the pipe. Then the pipe is sealed separately. The following link is just a generic search to illustrate a curb. There are a few good videos there too.

Roof curb/pitch pockets