Attic Ventilator Thermo Settings?

Old 03-22-19, 04:32 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic Ventilator Thermo Settings?

Hello All,

I have a few questions in regards to attic ventilation. We live in south Alabama, so it gets quite hot and humid during the summers. Our home (3,000 sq ft with gable roof) has two electric attic ventilators.

1. What would you recommend the thermostat setting for the ventilators to be set at? 110-115 degrees?

2. Would you consider adding a third "solar" ventilator? I was wondering if a single solar ventilator may be adequate for times when the attic temperatures are milder? Therefore reducing the run time of the electric ventilators?

3. Lastly. I am not sure if our units have a duo-stat (temp/humidity) but would you consider adding such?

Thanks,
Ralph

Old 03-22-19, 06:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
1. That's a good temp range. I don't think it's critical. I have mine turned up high because I don't like the noise of the fans.

2. I would not bother with a solar powered vent. They really don't have much power compared to a AC powered fan. Instead I would insure that you adequate area down low like soffit vents for air to enter the attic since you are pumping it out up high. If you want to add more air exhaust capacity I would install gable vents or a non powered vent. The key though is to have ample open area down low for cool air to enter.

3. Your vent fans likely have a humidity sensor since I don't think I've ever seen just a temperature controlled one. If your fan doesn't have one I would not add it. Most homes do not have powered vents and do just fine. And, when the humidity is high in your attic it's likely humid outside so running the fans will just bring in more humid air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: