Waterproofing Metal Building????

Old 03-27-19, 12:37 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Waterproofing Metal Building????

I just bought a house that has a 30' x 70' metal building on a concrete slab. After seeing it through several rains and cleaning out the inside, there is water coming in everywhere!!!

#1 - water leaking in where the perimeter metal framework sits on the concrete.
#2 - small pinhole leaks in roof (plan to get some FlexSeal tape and place over these)
#3 - places along the bottom of the siding that is actually rusted out and running in

Is there something economical that could be sprayed along the bottom of the siding to take care of the seal problems and the rusted siding all at the same time? I'm thinking something on the outside, but maybe the inside is a better solution???

Thanks for you time and responses,
Ken

Old 03-27-19, 02:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It sounds like the building needs more than "something economical" but I suppose you could coat the whole building in tar or rubberized roofing patch. Pressure wash it first to make sure it's clean so the tar will stick especially along the bottom where the building meets the concrete and any area that leaks.

If you have badly rusted out areas I would patch with galvanized steel flashing. Cut the flashing to size to cover the rusted areas. Apply a nice bead of rubberized roofing sealer and squish the patch into place. This will help seal out the water and work to hold the patch in place. Then you can fasten the patch in place with pop rivets. You can also use self drilling/tapping sheet metal screws but they really hurt if you scrape across them when working inside of the building.

Old 03-27-19, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If water leaks in at the bottom, it's likely because the slab protrudes beyond the siding, or maybe the grade is too high. pictures would help but I'm guessing you need a z-flashing along the bottom, behind the siding and over the concrete.

If there are windows, they can be a source of leaks... depending on how they were installed. If it doesn't have gutters, or if the gutters are plugged, there is a ton of water coming off the roof splashing back at the siding. That should be corrected too.

Old 03-28-19, 02:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Ken!

I agree you need either caulk or flashing along the bottom [maybe both] but pics would give us a better idea of what you have. Here are instructions for posting pics - How to insert pictures.

Is the roof stout enough to walk on? roof repairs are best addressed from the top side.

Old 12-25-19, 01:08 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Follow-up on my post about water in my metal building. I have stopped the leaks on the roof by coating every seam with Leak Stopper. I had a guy come with a tractor and move dirt away from the building to allow water to run away and not stand. I cut 7” off the bottom of all the exterior walls and replaced with 12” new metal slid up behind the original panels. That seems to have fixed all my problems.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Ken

Old 12-25-19, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Nice job... often it's a combination of things. Thank you for letting us know how it turned out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: