waterproof and replace exterior door

Old 03-27-19, 04:33 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
waterproof and replace exterior door

I plan on replacing a basement walk out door and want to insure I waterproof this appropriately. The door is to an unfinished basement that is framed by 2x6's so I will need a larger depth door. However, I'm not sure how I go about flashing and waterproofing this effectively.

My plan was to use a sure sill PVC material for the pan, plus using some of the stretchy black flashing for the sides. However, as you can see in the pics the concrete goes up about a quarter on each side. How do I waterproof this area from water intrusion that comes in from the side?

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 03-27-19, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Well, first, the deck on the outside needs to be at least 1" lower than the concrete floor inside or you are asking for problems. Your pan flashing needs to drop over the edge of the pad... caulk under the pan flashing and under any seams in the pan flashing. Caulk the door threshold to the inside lip of the pan flashing as you set the 6 9/16" prehung door into the opening. Detail flaps around the 3" of framing you have on each side and tape those flaps to the framing. Tape the face of the framing, seal the tape to the concrete with butyl rubber sealant. (It should not stick out beyond the trim like your current tape does). When you trim the door, that outside edge should be caulked to the concrete... might need a flexible nozzle on your caulking tube to caulk around the corner as it looks tight.

Old 03-27-19, 05:21 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think i understand. That pressure treated piece you can see with my finger is actually the side of the 2x6 frame that you can see in the interior shot. There is nothing else on the face of the concrete. The lower 1/3 of trim is basically just secured to the frame on the side closest to the door opening on each side. And the black paper is just tar paper. Should i add anything to the face of the concrete? Or just wrap the frame and secure the waterproof tape to the concrete?

Old 03-27-19, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Sounds like you may need to put something on the back side of your exterior trim that fills in any gap between the trim and the concrete. Like I said, your butyl tape should cover the face of the framing and seal to the face of the concrete. Then trim will cover that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: