Ridged foam insulation, fascia, roof edge and siding ???

Old 04-23-19, 08:13 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Ridged foam insulation, fascia, roof edge and siding ???

Hello,

I'm on a journey of installing ridged foam insulation and new vinyl siding but I'm stuck where all meet the fascia/roof edge and not sure how all of these components are supposed to come together. The fascia board is a little beat up so I also want to replace it with the PVC type. Any thought, see the attached pictures.

So the layers go like this: the rafter, 7/16" sheathing, tyvek, and the 1/2" ridged foam insulation. I was thinking the foam should go under the fascia, correct? I made a drawing of what I think it should be, if this is wrong, please let me know right way.

Any thought on doing this job the right way, keeping the water out and making sure it looks good is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kamil

Attached Images   
Old 04-24-19, 04:55 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
The way I would have done this job is first pull out the windows and installed 1 X 4 pine around the opening for two reasons.
#1, The window should be sitting flush with the outside sheathing, never recessed.
#2, It would give you something solid to attach the needed J molding to.
There is no reason to replace the rake trim, I'd be covering it with coil stock and bending the bottom in the shape of Z molding so it will come out and over the J molding at the top of the siding.
Coil stock can be special ordered in dozens of different colors.
Even if you did replace the old rake boards your still stuck with the issue of the J molding sticking out beyond the rake board, allowing water to get in behind it.

Old 04-24-19, 07:17 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So the windows are new construction with a j channel already built in. I installed 1/2”x4” plywood around the rough opening for the nailing flange because my foam is also 1/2”. You can’t see in the picture well but the the siding will sit on the foam and slide right into the j channel.

Thanks for the advice but should I pull off the fascia and install the foam underneath?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: