Gutter challenge with odd roofline

Old 06-10-19, 12:04 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutter challenge with odd roofline

My house has no portico over the front door, so when raining, water can come rushing down pretty heavily at the front door. This has, on occasion, led to water in the basement.

The previous owner routed the downspout to the left of the front door into a buried 4" PVC pipe, and also put in a drain there to capture water that may pool on the surface.

I installed micro-mesh gutter guards, which have helped ensure the gutters stay unclogged. I then installed gusher / splash guards to the gutter above the front door and above the side door to the garage, hoping to cut down on the "waterfall" that may come over the top of the gutters in a hard rain.

Of course, having those gusher / splash guards now traps leafs up there, partially defeating the purpose of the gutter guards.

Do you think the gusher / splash guards are more trouble than they're worth?

Any other ideas to limit the "waterfall" at the front door?

A portico would be nice, but I'm not sure how to build one that would look OK on this house's weird architecture! Suggestions?

Link to pic: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HF4wbJm2Tbzi7Tnb8

Old 06-10-19, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You might consider larger gutters and downspouts. Looks like you have 5" k style with 2x3 (6 sq in) downspouts. 6" k style with 3x4 downspouts (12 sq in) will move twice the water.

MadDogMike voted this post useful.
Old 06-10-19, 02:42 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Maybe the gutters are mounted too far below the edge of the roof. Can you provide a pic of the problem areas?

Old 06-10-19, 02:45 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
beelzebob, no, the gutters are not installed too low.

XSleeper, yeah, I bet 6" gutters would help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: