Double hip/ridge repair

Old 06-12-19, 05:02 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Double hip/ridge repair

Hello, what is the best way to fix the roofing problem in the picture? For example, should I leave everything alone and just nail one hip shingle over the one that tore off? Should I shave off shingle C and then hammer in a new shingle beginning with where B ends overlapping shingle D and apply roof cement where shingle B and the new shingle C meets?

Ideally, I think it is better to lift up A and B and put a new shingle under B and over D. However A and B are nailed down and I do not want to disturb them if it is not necessary. I am also concerned about damaging them.

Should I use more than one shingle? If so, what is the best way to do this job?

The current shingles are IKO Cambridge 30 AR Earthtone Cedar. According to the manufacturer, “Hip & Ridge Shingles used for installation of [IKO Cambridge 30 AR] Shingles must be Marathon Ultra AR, IKO Ultra HP, IKO Hip & Ridge 12, IKO Hip & Ridge Plus or an IKO approved equivalent product”. If I cannot get any of these, is there a substitute that you recommend? I think the existing Ridge/Hip shingles have three layers on the end with the visible black piece and two layers on the other end.

Also, do you recommend a specific roof cement that I can use which is either brown or clear?

I plan to do the work around noon tomorrow, a 70 degree day.

Thank you so much for your help!

Attached Images  
Old 06-12-19, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Remove A, B and C back as far as you need to and then reshingle. Any roof sealant is fine, you shouldn't need much as you should only have a couple exposed nails.

Old 06-12-19, 07:08 AM
R
Hi, thank you for your response.

I think there is a nail under the brown cement on A. So, remove nail and shingle. then remove B and C. Replace all three. Is that what you are suggesting?

Thanks!

Old 06-18-19, 06:31 AM
R
Hi everyone, I completed the job; however, not as you envisioned. I did not remove anything, including the torn shingle. Everything was firm and I didn’t want to mess with it. I slipped a single-layered shingle underneath shingle C and another single-layered shingle above it. I cut off a little bit of the black portion from both pieces, a bit more for the top piece than the bottom. Above both pieces, I placed half of a shingle. Then, I hammered in four 1.75" nails except the one on the top left. At that point, I figured I should put a nail at the top left to prevent wind from lifting it up, which may have caused the original problem. I inserted pieces of shingle into the gap and nailed the fifth nail. Then I used Loctite PL Black Polyurethane Roof and Flashing Sealant to seal the junction between shingle B and the new shingle C as well as between the new shingle C and the small piece of new shingle which is overlapped the wrong way.Does anyone think what I did is functionally a problem?

Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it.

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-19, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Functionally it's probably okay. Aesthetically, any contractor that did that would have an angry homeowner on their back because it shouldn't look all gooped up like that. But as long as your happy with it, that's all that matters.

raisetheroof voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: