Rubber Roof - Does this look right?

Old 06-26-19, 06:36 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Rubber Roof - Does this look right?

I just had a roof replaced on a property. It's a modified bitumen rubber roof system installed over the existing roof which was showing its age. Overall, the installation looks reasonable. But while most of the roof is the expected black color, there is one section that looks like maybe a manufacturing defect?

If I ask them, I'm sure they'll say it's normal. Have any of you seen rubber roofing that looks like this color?

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-19, 08:46 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Does the color change when you rub some solvent on it? If so it could just be some manufacturing residue that will weather off.

BTW, in general that installation looks kind of gnarly. What is the rubber installed over. When my rubber roof was installed they screwed down a layer of foam board through large washers (2+ inch) and then adhered the rubber to that.

Are those dark places in the discolored area patches? Looks like the edges of those areas are not smoothly adhered. Also there appears to be a lip around the edge of the roof. That will cause water to pool on the roof. That could be a structural issue or promote leakage. Is there drainage?

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 06-26-19, 02:50 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Thanks John, appreciate you taking a look at it.
It's installed over a few old layers (was built in the 30's, so likely a couple layers). I originally had a contractor lined up to do a full tear-off and re-roof with TPO, but they fell through.

The patches are from a protrusion (old chimney maybe). I expected it to be non-perfect because it was over the old roof... maybe a non-optimal decision on my part, but here we are. I think the rest of the roof looks decent. Not great, but hopefully good enough.

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-19, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I'm not a roofer but that first picture..... the roof doesn't look great.
It looks like there will be plenty of water on the roof after the rain.

The second picture.... roof looks fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: