Window Leak / How to Seal?

Old 07-22-19, 10:21 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Window Leak / How to Seal?

Hello, I have a large window that's been leaking a couple years. It initially started with just a little water forming on the window ledge, but now it's getting worse with puddles and water running down the wall. It normally only happens with hard rains that blow against the window.

I think it may be entering from a bad seal on the outside of the window. If you guys agree, what should I use to seal it? A bead of 100% silicone or something else?

I'd appreciate any product name and brand you guys prefer to use too.

Thanks.

Old 07-22-19, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You would need to remove all the old caulking around the glass perimeter. Only use 100% silicone on the glass. You would have the best results with Dow Corning 795, which is a professional product you could get from amazon or ebay. Clear or white, up to you.

IMO, it's also not good that your stucco trim fits into the j-channel on the outside perimeter of the window. If that isn't sealed up it would allow water to get behind the stucco, especially on the bottom corners.

Old 07-22-19, 11:20 AM
R
Thanks XSleeper!! I'll order Dow Corning 795 today!

As for the stucco / Jchannel, do you mean this area I've highlighted with red arrows? And if so, can I caulk that with 795 too? (I actually have some tan OSI Quad from another project.... if you think that can be used on the stucco?).

I'm really scarred of this stucco! A few houses in my neighborhood have had problems. I'm worried I may have more water behind the wall that I'm not seeing too. The door trim below the window recently separated, so I hope that's not an indication there's something bigger going on behind the wall.

Thanks again!

Old 07-22-19, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, you could use the tan Quad on the stucco, just try not to make a mess. I would stay out of it after you caulk it... don't try to tool it with your finger or anything. Just caulk as neat as you can without a lot of starting and stopping. I would leave the bottom red arrow uncaulked.

Don't use any silicone inside on painted trim.

Old 07-22-19, 12:32 PM
R
Thank you again XSleeper....

Last question, just for clarification........ "Don't tool the caulk". Do you mean the 795 on the glass or the OSI on the stucco/jchannel (Or both)? I saw some guys on YouTube taping off the glass and immediately pulling the tape for a neater appearance. It's not going to be viewable so I don't really care. I just want the best waterproofing I can accomplish.

Thank again!!!

Old 07-22-19, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
I would stay out of both.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: