Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Need confirmation on Metal Roof overlay on Metal storage building

Old 11-17-19, 04:40 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for confirmation from members experienced with metal roofing on our plans to put a new metal roof on a metal storage building. I don't know how old the building is. But it's built out of corrugated metal. Barn style with the roof extending down over the sides. The design is a little different from today's barn style buildings in that the roof ends about 48" up from the rim joist and has a small cutback to the wall. Could be called an "eave".

Building is 24' long and 14' wide
Attached photo of end profile; A=67" / B=48" / C refers to the little cutback or "eave".
Other photos show the truss design.

My questions are:
  • I know we need some kind of transition piece when it changes slope from A to B. And it would be installed under the panels on A and over the panels on B. I have found transitions strips that address going from steep slope to lesser slope but not from lesser to extremely steep slope.
  • Is there a transition type of piece for the "eave"? or just wrap it with a soffit piece?
  • Based on the photos attached, should we reinforce the truss design with additional purlins?
  • I hear everyone talking about an under-layment but that seems to be in regards to overlaying on top of shingles or flat surface. Would that be applicable to this?
  • My thoughts are to install foam board insulation between the purlins. Any reason why this would not a good idea?

And then of course, can anyone see any reason why this is not a good idea? Or any suggestions to make this a better installation?

After the roof overlay, we will cover the remainder in vinyl siding.

PS. Does anyone have thoughts as to who the manufacturer of this building might be?

Thanks in advance!!

Attached Images      

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: