Waterproofing Ice Rink with Wood Walls & Asphalt Floor

Old 01-11-23, 05:25 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Waterproofing Ice Rink with Wood Walls & Asphalt Floor

My town recreation commission needs to rebuild our ice rink. We have an asphalt floor and plan to build wooden walls, with pressure treated plywood on PT 2" x 6" frame. We are looking for the best way to waterproof the seam where the asphalt floor meets the wood wall. Anybody out there who can help us?

Old 01-12-23, 05:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
Is this a natural, unrefrigerated rink or is there refrigeration? (I think I know the answer...)

Are you installing a plastic band at the bottom where the boards meet the ice?

Don't spend too much effort waterproofing joints. The wall to floor is almost impossibl to waterproof. Caulk or foam gaps and cracks but they will still leak. Just seal the joints as best you can.

Get the floor down to temperature or let mother nature do the chilling. Then lightly spray the joint area and let if freeze. Do the same with any cracks in the floor area. You might need a couple passes but you build up thin layers of ice to seal any cracks. Depending on the temperature and size of the rink by the time you go around the perimeter your first pass will already be frozen so crack sealing can be done in one continuous process. Then after the cracks are filled/sealed you can begin your flooding sprays to build up the ice.

After your first base layer or two of ice is solid, painting REALLY helps if it is outdoors. Black asphalt is bad for ice on a sunny day even with refrigeration. A good layer of white paint will do a lot to prevent the sun from heating the rink from below. There are paints made just for this job which are similar to children's tempura paint (chalk in water). Non-toxic and easily washed away with water. When the season is over you just let the ice melt and hose away the paint residue.

tightcoat voted this post useful.
Old 01-16-23, 10:18 AM
T
Received 55 Upvotes on 46 Posts
Pilot Dane.
This is so simple I don’t know why I have never heard of it before. Where did you learn all this stuff?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: