Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

way to suspend plastic sheeting without the sheeting tearing

Old 01-08-24, 01:27 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts

in the ongoing effort to keep water off the ring (since the owner of the boys & girls club building isn't fixing the roof), this is the best we've come up with so far.
but
it's not ideal.
a) the widest span I could find in plastic sheeting is 20' which is just over the ring width
but given that the pole in the center is bending, we're not getting the full 20' and some water is dripping off the edge and getting onto the ring.
b) the plastic sheeting can't be stretched taught enough to prevent water from settling and bowing the plastic sheeting. so we have to go through and push the sheeting from the inside to get it to run off.

we've come to the realization that no matter what material we put up, it's going to bow under the weight of the water
so
the new solution is to have sheeting pinned up on one side directly to the top of the ceiling, stretch it over the ring, then have it hang lower on the other side of the ring so the water just gets redirected on down to the floor.
the question is, how could I pin the plastic sheeting to the ceiling (the ceiling has metal beams that I can hang a rope from) and then suspend the other side with rope?
Can't really use a tarp since tarps are opaque and wouldn't allow the overhead lights to come in unless we installed a worklight over the ring but that would be a whole nother project

any ideas are appreciated, ty

Old 01-08-24, 02:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,185 Upvotes on 1,955 Posts
Would patching the roof be easier than trying to build a roof inside? It looks like a metal roof. I assume one can of patching cement could take care of most of the issues.

You can clamp plastic to the roof beams. Wrap the plastic around a board (2x4). You can even staple to help hold it in place. Then use C clamps to attach the board to the roof beam. You want to sandwich the plastic between the beam and board so the squeezing along the length of plastic is doing the holding and not individual staples or nails.

Old 01-08-24, 04:14 PM
M
we tried patching the roof at one point but the location of the leak isn't the location of the entry so the water could be entering anywhere in this huge warehouse building and making its way to the spots above the ring.

The board is a good idea but since they don't make 25 ft studs, couldn't we just nail studs together?

Old 01-08-24, 04:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Yes, you can piece together whatever you need. In addition to lumber you can also use PVC piping to support the plastic. You can also look at greenhouse suppliers. Most commercial greenhouses are made of huge sheets of plastic so there are aluminum extrusions and other bits designed to hold sheet plastic.

Old 01-08-24, 07:45 PM
M
the max width on plastic sheeting that I've seen at HD is 20'.
either way we point the 20' end, if it's on the board side, the securing of the boards will lose precious inches. if we have it on the angled down side, then the angle created will lose precious inches
I'll look into the greenhouse angle to see if plastic sheeting comes slightly wider, thks

Old 01-09-24, 07:12 AM
M
another thought regarding the metal roof, we could seal the skylight from the top
and then
is there a product we can use with a roller to seal from the inside since we don't care if the water comes out in another location just not above the ring?

Old 01-09-24, 08:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Stopping water is best done on the outside. It will be difficult to get anything to stick to the bottom side of the skylight or roof that will keep water out. But, coating potential leak sights on the outside can be very successful.

Old 01-09-24, 12:34 PM
M
sealing the skylight will help a lot but the remaining leaks have been attempted to fix several times before which tells me the entry point for the water isn't the same as the exit point. (the water is running through the layers of the roof and coming out above the ring in a number of places.)
Chasing down all the possible entry points for the entire building isn't feasible since the boxing ring is only a small part of the boys and girls club, (there's an indoor soccer field in the same building (which also has it's share of leaks))
so
if sealing from the inside isn't feasible, we're back to suspending sheeting from the ceiling and angling it downwards to direct the water away from the ring and onto the floor.
in order to minimize expenses and mainly inches off the 20' sheeting width, what if we used rope, doubled over the sheeting once and used gorilla tape to tape the sheeting onto itself on the other side of the rope, and string the two ropes with the attached sheeting from rafter to floor, above the ring?

Old 01-09-24, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,987 Upvotes on 3,579 Posts
Interesting.... we've already previously discussed this project in detail and yet I can't find it.

Old 01-09-24, 09:03 PM
M
I think I recall that as well :-o
and iirc that thread got us to the point in the first picture where we got the plastic sheeting up above the ring draped over that pole

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: