How much extra carpet do I need to purchase?

Old 09-23-16, 04:51 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How much extra carpet do I need to purchase?

This will be my first time putting a new carpet on my home. Let's say the room is measured 12' by 14'. When I go to the local carpet store, should I just purchase it exactly what I've measured or should I purchase a bit bigger? If I need to purchase bigger, how much extra? Second, do I have to remove the moldings around the walls? I really don't want to if I don't have to because it'll require more time and work. For rooms that less than 17' by 20', do I need a power stretcher tool?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-16, 05:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
Note that there are two common width for carpet 12 ft. and 15 ft. There are other widths but those are the two most common. With many carpets the sides are not usable depending on the carpet and pattern so an inch or two on each side needs to be trimmed off leaving you with something less than 12 or 15' width. As for the length carpet is usually cut sorta straight across. How straight depends on the operator so you can never count on the end being exactly straight or perpendicular to the edges. So, it's always a good idea to get a bit more than what you need. I usually go one foot longer. As for the width I usually pick carpets for my rental houses that are good to the edge so 12' wide carpet will work in a 12' wide room but you need to verify how your chosen carpet comes.

Yes, you generally need to remove the base moldings. Often there are two pieces. A small quarter round and then the base molding. Most carpet is held down with tackless strip which is around the perimeter of the room and often underneath the molding so you need to remove the molding in order to remove the old carpet.

Some carpets can get away without a stretcher especially if you do not use a pad. It's something that's often done in basements and rental houses and lower end DIY projects. In those cases the carpet is just let lay or it is glued down. If you have padding and tackless strips it's almost required that you use a kicker or stretcher to install the new carpet.

If you'll be doing the installation yourself make sure to get a carpet knife and lots of extra blades. Cutting carpet dulls blades very quickly and if you get snaggles or frays change to a fresh cutting edge. One some carpets you only cut 6 or 8 feet before a blade is dull so don't be stingy and always keep a sharp blade. Next is the important part. Be mindful of the sharp blade you're working with and wear leather gloves. Carpet knives are sharp on the top and bottom and when inexperienced it's easy to forget and cut yourself good/bad.

Old 09-23-16, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Many 12' wide carpets are not 12' wide. They can be as narrow as 11' 9" and still be sold. If you power stretch, you can usually make it fit a 12' room. Kicking it, probably not.

Old 09-23-16, 04:28 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot, thank you for the detailed response. I'd appreciated.

Old 09-24-16, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Some of the imported stuff is 13' 3" wide.