Screws sticking out of subfloor?

Old 10-18-16, 05:32 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screws sticking out of subfloor?

We are taking out carpet in a bedroom to install laminate and found screws in rows sticking up about 1/4 inch from the subfloor. I figured that they were holding something underneath the house, like pipes, but when I went in the crawl space to figure out what it was, they don't appear to hold on anything. I took one out and it's only an inch long, which leads me to believe it isn't holding anything at all, but may have been there to stabilize the carpet? Any suggestions why they are there? My plan is to take all of them out, but I don't want to be sorry later. Could they be there to stop squeaks? They don't hold the subfloor to any joists. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-16, 05:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Since they aren't above the joists I'd remove them. Don't see how they'd be for squeaks if they don't hit any structure below. Maybe a previous owner had something screwed to the floor ??

Old 10-18-16, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have heard of using screws midspan to lessen squeaking, and it is possible that is what they did. Not a very good way to do things, I might add. I'd remove them and move on. Most squeaks occur where the subflooring and joists meet.

Old 10-18-16, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
You could also grind the tips off from above with a grinder.

Old 10-18-16, 08:54 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you all. We removed them and so far have noticed nothing weird. Through this process, though I learned about using deck screws to secure the subfloor to the joists to minimize squeaking, so we will do that while everything is ripped up. I really appreciate your advice!