2nd Floor subfloor for carpet?

Old 12-05-16, 07:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2nd Floor subfloor for carpet?

I live in an expanded cape and I have 2 bedrooms and a full bathroom upstairs which my family doesn't use yet but we will be moving the little one upstairs before baby #2 comes.

I moved into the home about 4 years ago and always noticed how loud it was when somebody was walking upstairs so I decided to take a look at the subfloor. It looks like very thin MDF (possibly) subfloor that is underneath the carpet. It's definitely not even plywood or OSB. I can't even see this being legal and since I am in the process of remodeling the upstairs And changing the carpet figured I would rip that subfloor out and put a proper subfloor before the new carpet and trim goes in.

Is it ok to use 3/4 OSB for a subfloor where carpet will be installed or should I get 3/4 plywood?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-16, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
You generally want to use 3/4" tongue and groove for subfloors, glued and screwed. It gets layed perpendicular to the joists. Either plywood or osb are commonly used. Plywood is higher quality and a little more expensive.

While either will work, I would feel better with plywood, personally. I can't stand the thought of shampooing the carpet from time to time and soaking the osb.

Old 12-06-16, 06:45 PM
Received 372 Votes on 347 Posts
Have had both, plywood and OSB, over the years without any concern, tongue and groove for sure!

I believe that particle board (not sure if same as MDF) was used along with plywood many years ago as a way to make quite floors.

I do not recall if one was on top or below the other.

You may be able to determine if it can be covered!

Old 12-06-16, 07:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I will have to rip up just a section of the subfloor to see if plywood is beneath the MDF/particle board.

And by "cover" you mean to lay the new plywood directly on top?