Replacing carpet on concrete slab

Old 12-18-16, 10:37 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing carpet on concrete slab

Took off carpet, then the foam cushion and now see thin little 8"x8" square blocks. There is tar or something on both sides of the blocks. I remember the concrete floor was so nice 15 years ago - it was shiny. Should I remove those blocks and reseal it or leave the blocks and lay laminate over the blocks?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-16, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Blocks make me think that it is VCT type tile. Older 9x9 or 8x8 tiles could have asbestos in the tile or glue. It would be best to leave it you can and install a floating floor like Luxury vinyl tile or plank

Old 12-18-16, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Many of the old 12x12 tiles contained asbestos too. Cover it with a floating floor.

Old 12-19-16, 11:11 AM
F
Looking closely at the fine, black sooty looking particles that lie on top of the vinyl tiles (yes - after closer inspection, after removing the blackend glue, I see vinyl), I wonder. What is that - sediment that filtered through the carpet, or abraded glue, or could it bet the asbestos? I was able to sweep it up - getting about a grocery bag full per 100 sq.ft. It does not fill the air with dust - the dust from sweeping it settles quickly - did not blow all over the place. But still, I hope it's not asbestos. My wife and I can smell a tar smell in the house now. It is quite strong and we are sure it is coming from this underlayment. I suppose I need to quickly sweep away that black stuff and get the laminate floating floor down over top of it. Or should I get that smell out first. I mean, it did not smell while the carpet was covering it, so I suppose it won’t with the floating floor over it – right? Right? Or is it going to kill me? Tell me. Tell ME. Be HONEST.

Last edited by funvalue; 12-19-16 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
If it was loose I would have wanted to clean it up before laying any floating floor. However, I would have had it tested before messing with it. Wetting it down with water would have been a good idea too. I hope you at least were wearing a respirator/dust mask.

Old 12-20-16, 01:19 PM
F
Update: it looks like black paint on the concrete under the tiles. It is kind of sketchy - not consistent - small areas with no paint - can see gray/white areas of concrete. The "paint" is solid - not coming off - at least not without sanding or some chemical remover.
My wife and I both want a nice beautiful, colorful sealant. We like the sealant idea better than laminate flooring. My updated question: Will it be ok to put a colored sealant over the painted and nonpainted areas?
Also to update - I am still alive. I was kidding about telling me whether I'd die. I work at a hospital as a janitor, so I don't think I have to worry about dying.